Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Late-era Hamer inlaid logo process

soli'd

Question

This is more of a curiosity question but figured someone in this sub may have some insight.  

I was looking at the uncanny perfection of the inlaid MOP logo on (formerly) my 2008 Newport pro.  How was this process done, were the routs for the inlaid letters done by CNC?  Were the MOP letters laser-cut?  I've never seen relatively complex lettering done quite this perfectly, you can't see any ground filler or glue or anything, what was the process here?  The HAMER part is impressive as it is, but the freaking TINY letters used in the 'USA' part?  Were the ebony peghead overlays already completed (inlaid) before they were glued to the neck blank?  I'm trying to imagine those tiny U, S, and A letters sitting loose waiting to be inserted into microscopic slots... 

image.jpeg

6 answers to this question

Laser cut and hand inlaid,

On 5/27/2022 at 7:13 AM, soli'd said:

This is more of a curiosity question but figured someone in this sub may have some insight.  

I was looking at the uncanny perfection of the inlaid MOP logo on (formerly) my 2008 Newport pro.  How was this process done, were the routs for the inlaid letters done by CNC?  Were the MOP letters laser-cut?  I've never seen relatively complex lettering done quite this perfectly, you can't see any ground filler or glue or anything, what was the process here?  The HAMER part is impressive as it is, but the freaking TINY letters used in the 'USA' part?  Were the ebony peghead overlays already completed (inlaid) before they were glued to the neck blank?  I'm trying to imagine those tiny U, S, and A letters sitting loose waiting to be inserted into microscopic slots... 

image.jpeg

This beautiful guitar is now mine!  Thanks again, soli'd!!

1 hour ago, veatch said:

I think the Hamer DVD (out on YouTube) shows the hand inlay part. 

Do you mean this three part factory tour?   I have never seen this before.  I can't wait to watch it after work!

On 5/29/2022 at 12:41 AM, cmatthes said:

Laser cut and hand inlaid,

Yes, and they show them being hand inlaid in the Hamer video

Archived