Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson Wins Suit Against Dean... for $4K

😄

If the quality of product was good, the prices reasonable and competitive and the models/features aligned with what players REALLY want, they might not have to fall back on law suits to insulate their sales figures. Just my .02

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/gibson-dean-court-ruling?utm_content=guitar-world&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow

Right On. The best sentence is, “Gibson can now focus attention on *continuing to leverage its iconic past*, and invest in future innovation, with confidence.” 

Yeahhhhh.... 

Hey, at least for the player-collectors there’ll be some new “lawsuit guitars” 😆🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Right On. The best sentence is, “Gibson can now focus attention on *continuing to leverage its iconic past*, and invest in future innovation, with confidence.” 

Yeahhhhh.... 

Hey, at least for the player-collectors there’ll be some new “lawsuit guitars” 😆🤷‍♂️

Like I said in the other thread, I hope this doesn't mean that Gibson is gonna reissue the Firebird X.  🤮

P.S. The local Nashville CBS news affiliate this evening reported Gibson's 'BIG WIN' (their words, not mine) over the trademark suit with Dean (I live between Nashville and Paducah, KY, so their news is local to me, too).  Funny how the news broadcast didn't mention the $4000 amount that Gibson was awarded, though.  :rolleyes: :lol:

I’m not real familiar with the Dean law suit.  But I’ve always wondered, how close can a Strat copy look like a Fender Strat before it’s an infringement.  What about Harley Benton they also make products that look like 335 and Les Paul.  The same goes for the Amazon Fire Fly.  Maybe I need to ask the experts.  How is it that Gibson never had heartburn over the Hamer Explorer I mean Standard?

1 hour ago, dhuber said:

I’m not real familiar with the Dean law suit.  But I’ve always wondered, how close can a Strat copy look like a Fender Strat before it’s an infringement.  What about Harley Benton they also make products that look like 335 and Les Paul.  The same goes for the Amazon Fire Fly.  Maybe I need to ask the experts.  How is it that Gibson never had heartburn over the Hamer Explorer I mean Standard?

Hamer had an agreement with Gibson - not a licensing arrangement or anything like that - a simple agreement.  The subsequent owners screwed the pooch on that (well, and everything else too) and let things lapse.

Dean Z. may very we’ll have had something similarly, but that company was sold so many times, who could track it.  Odd that Dean has been OPENLY making V and Explorer shapes since 1976/77, and Gibson is only now challenging them…but hey, gotta protect that IP.

21 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

invest in future innovation

Don't bother, Gibson. Accept the fact that you're Coca-Cola. You got the formula right decades ago. No one wants innovation from you.

Archived