Hamer Fan Club Message Center

SDOD: 12 sets D'Addario 10s - $40

That is a great deal,   but I have pledged to use only NYXLs on all my guitars once my stash of EBs and 110XLs are used up. 

The NYXLs seem to last forever for me.

Thanks for the heads-up; after the last few times I've bought those I won't buy any more D'addario's until their sets include an ernie ball .010 to use after the ball end fails like all the d'addario .010s lol.

1 hour ago, stonge said:

....after the ball end fails....

I used them for years and had a stretch where the ends were failing, so I emailed them. They sent a bunch of replacements.

Same here with the failing “E” strings. On my vintage trem guitars (Fender, Charvel) I spend 30 seconds soldering the twisted ends. Problem solved. Seems to help with tuning stability. I suppose I could bypass the soldering hassle by using Super Bullets, but, nah…Ever try digging a broken Bullet end out of a trem block? Not fun…

Never had a problem with TOM guitars and D’Addarios breaking. Hoping I get a good batch with this incoming dozen. Thanks for the heads up, @hamerhead!

Most of the problems with the ball ends popping out (or the wrapped segment of string next to the ball breaking) are occurring on headless guitars like my Steinberger, Carvin, or Strandberg (outside of my tele and my DGTs that's pretty much all i ever play anymore).  It might be partially due to the way the ball end lies flat in the bridge saddle, but I don't see or feel any sharp edges and the only one that ever breaks are D'Addario high E's.  I bought a dozen Ernie Ball .010s as replacements and those don't break like the DA's. 

Tension on the high E string feels stiffer to me on a headless guitar (it clamps just behind the zero fret so it's arguably a shorter length of string).  It feels a lot easier to bend on the tele or DGT (even when i have .011s on the PRS). 

Archived