Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS: 1954 Fender Stratocaster, Hardtail

I always find it amusing that every vintage guitar is 'amazing' these days. They all "Ring like a bell, sweet sounding."
Trust me, they all aren't 'magic'. I had a '59 that looked beautiful, but, was a total dog. Muddy, not chimey or sweet sounding at all. Just like all Gibby Bursts. They all aren't great. 

There's a YouTube video with Howard Leese and Tim Pierce where he compares his '59 Burst to a PRS and the PRS wins.

4 minutes ago, santellavision said:

I always find it amusing that every vintage guitar is 'amazing' these days. They all "Ring like a bell, sweet sounding."
Trust me, they all aren't 'magic'. I had a '59 that looked beautiful, but, was a total dog. Muddy, not chimey or sweet sounding at all. Just like all Gibby Bursts. They all aren't great. 

Yeah, not that I'd spend the amount of a car on one instrument, but I've never really had the desire to try to get one of those 50s guitars.  If it's in great shape, you either won't want to play it for fear of hurting the value, or it's a dog which is why it hasn't been played.

Jeez, fellas, I just thought it looked like a sweet old guitar that others might want to see on a Sunday morning. I thought Julian made it sound nice. I'm familiar with the seller, who mainly deals in vintage Martins and is highly credible. I'm sure that someone consigned the '54 (and '63 he has). Also, I'd never heard of a '54 hardtail (thought they came out in '55), so there's THAT. 

Thanks for the link , beautiful guitar.

im always curious as to what a real vintage instrument looks like, colors, condition finish etc. I do a lot of distressing in my trade and I like to make things look authentic. 

I have to say I’ve had at least 5 strats in my lifetime and I didn’t  really like any of them until I built my own out of spare parts I had at home and parts I found on the internet. 

So maybe finding the right strat is just a combination of luck and well, luck. 😂

On 6/6/2022 at 3:17 PM, crunchee said:

It's probably 'If you have to ask' pricing...as in, 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it.' <_<

Oh, I have no doubt that I can't afford it (or at least, wouldn't) I just find it an annoying thing to do... Is it for sale, or are you just showing off?

On 6/6/2022 at 4:10 PM, topekatj said:

Jeez, fellas, I just thought it looked like a sweet old guitar that others might want to see on a Sunday morning. I thought Julian made it sound nice. I'm familiar with the seller, who mainly deals in vintage Martins and is highly credible. I'm sure that someone consigned the '54 (and '63 he has). Also, I'd never heard of a '54 hardtail (thought they came out in '55), so there's THAT. 

It's absolutely cool as hell, I guess I thought that was a given. 

Archived