Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD Nothing special Special w/Updates

Another addition to the Nothing Special Collection. This one popped up on FB Marketplace this afternoon. I've never bought anything on FB MP before but have been looking for a trailer lately. This was at a garage sale not far away, so I made the trip. Sorry about the pictures, it's too late for better ones tonight. 

Updated with some new pics. Took a few in the sun today but most won't fit here. Put up what I could. Pretty darn nice guitar for a 30 year old. Some light dings and scratches but nothing serious. Seems all original. Frets good. Neck is not substantial but not skinny either. About .94@1st fret.

1.jpg

This is the pic I saw on FB that started the chase.

20220606_123657.jpg

Body in overall great condition. All original parts. Fine scratches and a few small dings.

20220606_123430.jpg

20220606_123239.jpg

There's a bit of white on the back edge of the headstock. And white paint specs all over the ohsc.

Also some light worming on the back and a few minor dings that are not through the wood and hard to photograph. And tone pot crackles a little.

Other than that, it's a pretty fine guitar.

It's Special.

4 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

That burst finish was not as common as other finishes. 

What else was in the garage?

Never saw the garage. Messaged them on FB, drove over and they motioned me into the house, might have been my new Hamer T shirt gave me away. The only thing I saw of interest besides the Hamer was a mid 80's Epiphone 12 string acoustic. Not too interested went to 0 interest when I saw the top was smashed/crushed/broken directly in front of the sound hole. Badly. I don't know if it got smashed on or if it collapsed from string tension. Not enough interest to check into it. So politely told her who to take it to for evaluation and possible repair. 

12 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

That is very rockable!  Congrats.  Your negotiating position might be stronger if you don't wear a brand T-shirt, though.

Yeah, that was interesting, I didn't realize I was wearing one until I was getting out of my truck. Too late. I don't think it made any difference though, we had made the deal by messenger.

26 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

nice score.... I love P90s

Thanks Tom. I haven't seen any Hamers show up locally since that Vector in the valley. Then boom this shows up. I didn't hesitate. Not a virgin, but pretty nice for it's age. Suns been shining for days. Until this morning when I want to take pictures. It's always something.

• Hbom changed the title to NHD Nothing special Special w/Updates

you are gonna get a good one if you jump. snooze and you lose.   Doug is a great guy, and straight up.  he offered to up to me before this post (we're friends) but I already have two guitars (Godin) with the same pickups,  you pass.... its mine. just because

Congrats. I have it’s twin, a 93. I put Wolfetones in mine. A Mean and Meaner set   Wolfe reverse wound one so there is hum canceling in the dual pickup mode. Enjoy it. 

On 6/8/2022 at 12:57 AM, beezerboy said:

you are gonna get a good one if you jump. snooze and you lose.   Doug is a great guy, and straight up.  he offered to up to me before this post (we're friends) but I already have two guitars (Godin) with the same pickups,  you pass.... its mine. just because

Don’t I know it! Doug and I have sent gear back and forth before and he is the best. I am on the fence cause I just bought that G&L…

I only have 1 special left, and it's not going anywhere. Natural fat neck with Shlabotnics. It's missing some of the finish cuz I wore it off. Love to find another P90 model tho. Specials are Gibson killers!!!

congrats!  What year is it?  I can't quite make out the SN on the headstock.  .94 at the first fret sounds great!  My 93 doesn't have the stupid-skinny neck that the 92s had, but it's still a lot thinner than I'd prefer.  Yours sounds like it's much more substantial.

13 hours ago, Jim85IROC said:

congrats!  What year is it?  I can't quite make out the SN on the headstock.  .94 at the first fret sounds great!  My 93 doesn't have the stupid-skinny neck that the 92s had, but it's still a lot thinner than I'd prefer.  Yours sounds like it's much more substantial.

Born in 92.Shape & size.

1st fret

2 31069 1st fret b.JPG

12th fret2 31069 12th fret.JPG

edit: Might be less confusing if I had used the same scale on both rulers. Sorry. Top ruler is in 1/10" bottom is 1/32"   

Archived