Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Posted (edited)

Here we go, while I’m waiting for the perfect Vintage S I managed to find my first Vintage Hamer.

spacer.png

The only item not original is the bridge HB - it’s been replaced with a Dimarzio    36th anniversary - if anyone has a correct 79 Dimarzio in double cream - please let me know.

Nice isn’t it?

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by Bennyboy-UK
  • Like 34

Posted (edited)

And it’s as old as me. Well, it was probably being made during the year i was born then given an SN the year after. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway.

Edited by Bennyboy-UK
  • Like 2

Finally, you got it. A real, adult guitar.

I'm glad you did.

Now we'll take you & your posts much more serious, you'll see! 😎

Congrats, mate!

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

Here we go, while I’m waiting for the perfect Vintage S I managed to find my first Vintage Hamer.

spacer.png

The only item not original is the bridge HB - it’s been replaced with a Dimarzio    36th anniversary - if anyone has a correct 79 Dimarzio in double cream - please let me know.

Nice isn’t it?

Cheers,

Ben.

NICE!!

• Like 1

I have to say that, if I were getting a guitar, it would be a '79 Sunburst.

I always loved those. I think it's because I always loved 59 Gibson Juniors and these always reminded me of them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

spacer.png

Nice isn’t it?

Cheers,

Ben.

Love it!  Makes me miss my ‘78 (also the same age as me). 

Have Josh @JGravelin wind you a replacement bridge pickup to vintage original spec. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Travis said:

Love it!  Makes me miss my ‘78 (also the same age as me). 

Have Josh @JGravelin wind you a replacement bridge pickup to vintage original spec. 

That’s definitely part of the plan!

The guitar seems extremely LOUD even with the pickups wound down a lot further than I would set them them - nice!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

if anyone has a correct 79 Dimarzio in double cream - please let me know.

The guitar seems extremely LOUD even with the pickups wound down a lot further than I would set them them - nice!

I'll check if I have an old double creme Dimarzio to spare.

Two of my 79's are like that. Pickups pretty low and perhaps even tilted a bit so that the treble side is even a tidy bit lower than the bass side. They sound killer like this. Really like old wood. Not exaclty like a 50's LP, as the body is a bit thinner. But not far from. I have one that I call "Pagey", cause it has a thin neck, the pickups set low and it has that Jimmy Page tone in spades.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Would be interesting to see, how many of the early Sunbursts (until, say 82-models) do exist in possession of us HFCers.

Would be interesting to see a quote for 4-digit-Standards, too.

Any idea, shall we count them?

• Like 1

Stunning guitar. I wonder how many of these there are in the UK. I've got a '79 but I've never seen another one. They seem to have a low profile in this country for some reason. 

• Like 1

NICE — appears to be a single piece veneer top, as well. 

A question, just trying to learn something: I thought the Sunbursts all had speed knobs, did Hamer abandon the speed knobs at this point (or perhaps the top hat knobs are replacements)?

ENJOY!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...