Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Early Sunbursts: How many do we have here?

Keep 'em coming!

We're at 35 Sunbursts within the HFC now (with one kindly associated Special and a few not-so-early-ones).

How many may have been made in total the first say 4 years in Arlington Heights?

How many of these are owned by HFCers?

Who else has one or more in his possession, momentarily?

Edited by donner
  • Like 1

8 0383

I bought it used from Lake Charles Music, Lake Charles, Louisiana, in 1982. My first Hamer. If I remember correctly, I paid $350 (no kidding!) for it. I still have it, of course.

Sunburst_1.jpg

Sunburst_2.jpg

Sunburst_5_Headstock_1.jpg

Sunburst_6_Headstock_2.jpg

• Like 17

My 78 (8 0358, see the 1st post of this thread) was bought in Stuttgart/Swabia secondhand by its former owner.

Funny, how they came around the world: Louisiana and Swabia within 25 Serialnumbers from each other.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Wow!  Beautiful instrument!   What is the story with the unusual, yet very cool, headstock?

Here we go…

https://www.buddlejagarden.co.uk/hamer/sunbur2.htm

Fuck - I didn't even see the extra frets and Stadium logo!!! - so this link is redundant then!

Edited by Bennyboy-UK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Wow!  Beautiful instrument!   What is the story with the unusual, yet very cool, headstock?

Ordered by Sam Moss, and a cousin to the Electraglide in the post just above. This one is called the Duoglide. From 1986. Both are just as rare, and cool.

The Duoglide pre-dates the PRS Santana modell with several years, but they are very similar. 24 frets, double humbuckers, arch top, maple top, double cut. I'd take the Duoglide any day of the week!

https://indyweek.com/music/features/sam-moss-blues-approved/ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Ah...the Hamer Sunburst.  Two of my personal favorites, can't keep them all. 

To answer the OP's original inquiry.  How many do we have here - Early Sunbursts ? 
You can add two '78's for me.   Although, I thought I would show a picture of one of my personal favorites that is a non early model.

The other questions -

Question #1 - Yes

Question #2 - Yes

Redhead Hamer Sunburst .png

1978 Hamer Sunburst.jpg

Edited by Hamerica
  • Like 11

The Blueburst's bones came from an early one with shimmed bridge, one piece neck and long headstock.  Crummy pic but notice the 15th fret dot is off center.  That's original.  Love it.

BB3.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Greg G said:

The Blueburst's bones came from an early one with shimmed bridge, one piece neck and long headstock.  Crummy pic but notice the 15th fret dot is off center.  That's original.  Love it.

BB3.jpg

Love it!

On 6/18/2022 at 8:03 AM, Travis said:

No longer have it but 8 0111 was a killer guitar for sure. 

043ADC48-1482-438A-8F0B-618B778B0EFE.webp

💓💓💓Bound & Crowned 💓💓💓

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belgian said:

I still own 7 0069 (blonde - dot) and 80105 (sunburst -crowned). 

As we said in the old times:

worthless.gif

Edited by donner
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, donner said:

As we said in the old times:

worthless.gif

Actually, I think I saw his full length video with it in his home studio.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:47 PM, GuitarGuy65 said:

I guess you can count the Electraglide as a Sunburst, even though it has an archtop and a Standard headstock... 😎 

1985 Hamer Electraglide.JPG

The Holy Grail.

• Like 2

Here’s another you’ve probably seen before in an old post or two. As of last Friday, now residing in coastal Maine. SN 9 1343. Thank you Mike and HFC

93A08A8F-5775-42D7-92B4-A0290515801D.jpeg

• Like 13

On 6/10/2022 at 2:09 PM, stedge said:

1 x 1980, black, dots.  Bought in new in NYC.   Refret, maybe a pot changed, cant recall.  That's about it.  Still my baby.

Stedge: Do you remember where you bought it? I visited what used to be Music Row (W 48th) in April for the first time in about 40 years. Nothing left but memories. 

A smaller store on the same side of the street as Manny’s , across from Rudy’s (where i bought a Rickenbacker  360 while in college).  The name of the store will likely come to me at some point between 3-4AM one random eve, but i cant recall just now. 

i used to surf the little shops in the village and soho, too.  Grabbed a 73 martin d18 -12 in the early 80s for nothing on one of my excursions.   Still have that.  Woo’d my bride with it playing under a streetlamp (well, she was amused by that but all the other girls loved it, so i was covered!) and made beer money out in harvard square back in the day. During high school, cutting lawns served me well and bought guitars and amp!   

58 minutes ago, stedge said:

A smaller store on the same side of the street as Manny’s , across from Rudy’s (where i bought a Rickenbacker  360 while in college).  The name of the store will likely come to me at some point between 3-4AM one random eve, but i cant recall just now. 

"We Buy Guitars"?

I don't know if that was the actual name or a nickname, but that's what it was known as (if that's even the place you're recalling).

1 hour ago, stedge said:

i used to surf the little shops in the village and soho, too.  Grabbed a 73 martin d18 -12 in the early 80s for nothing on one of my excursions.   Still have that.  Woo’d my bride with it playing under a streetlamp (well, she was amused by that but all the other girls loved it, so i was covered!) and made beer money out in harvard square back in the day. During high school, cutting lawns served me well and bought guitars and amp!   

Thanks for those memories! I bought my second guitar (Washburn Falcon) from “Art-Shell Music” on W48th, where I stumbled upon an amazing bass player testing out instruments one day. I later learned it was Stanley Clarke. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kizanski said:

"We Buy Guitars"?

I don't know if that was the actual name or a nickname, but that's what it was known as (if that's even the place you're recalling).

Stuyvesant?

18 minutes ago, Slade Moore said:

Stuyvesant?

I remember that place too (or was it the same place?), but all of those shops have melted together in my brain as it and the memories get older and older.

• Like 1