Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Early Sunbursts: How many do we have here?

On 7/5/2022 at 10:46 AM, kizanski said:

"We Buy Guitars"?

I don't know if that was the actual name or a nickname, but that's what it was known as (if that's even the place you're recalling).

Yes, there was Sam Ash, Manny's, Rudy's and We Buy Guitars.

Sadly 48th Street's Music Row is long gone.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, wibo said:

Haven't been here in a while so late to the party, but I still own 8 0102

spacer.png

spacer.png

No worries, THIS Party never ends!

These tops were crazily vivid, looked at from the right angle. Bruce919's too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vintage Hamer-Lover said:

Felt in love and purchased another '79 Sunburst from a nice Italian guy living in Newcastle, UK:  9 0897.

Great Condition but Brexit Tax: € 165,- 🤪

Worth every penny, I bet!

Beautiful top, but the knobs are replaced, aren't they?

It's a shame and very sad that Brexit killed a whole market branch for us continental Europeans.

On 7/4/2022 at 9:28 PM, Slade Moore said:

Here’s another you’ve probably seen before in an old post or two. As of last Friday, now residing in coastal Maine. SN 9 1343. Thank you Mike and HFC

93A08A8F-5775-42D7-92B4-A0290515801D.jpeg

That one used to be mine a loooong time ago! And it looked like this when I bought it (before Murkat fixed it):

100_1506.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 12:44 AM, hamerhead said:

That one used to be mine a loooong time ago! And it looked like this when I bought it (before Murkat fixed it):

100_1506.jpg

Hamerhead, I adore everything about this guitar including it’s playability, the beastly bridge pickup, and small details like the buffed/feathered edges of the dings.

From the photo you shared, it really has a different visual vibe, post-pick guard removal. Did you and Mukrat make any other other notable changes to get it where you wanted it?

I’ve often wondered if the processes of refinishing the top revealed that it had a figured maple veneer beneath the black lacquer. 

On 9/23/2022 at 7:28 AM, Slade Moore said:

Hamerhead, I adore everything about this guitar including it’s playability, the beastly bridge pickup, and small details like the buffed/feathered edges of the dings.

From the photo you shared, it really has a different visual vibe, post-pick guard removal. Did you and Mukrat make any other other notable changes to get it where you wanted it?

I’ve often wondered if the processes of refinishing the top revealed that it had a figured maple veneer beneath the black lacquer. 

From what I recall (it's been a couple years....) the changes were cosmetic - the pickguard screw holes were filled and a small section of binding was reattached.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 1:06 PM, GuitarGuy65 said:

Finally got around to getting some pics of my recent acquisition, a nice 1979 Sunburst with dots in Natural with a killer top.  It's clean and all-original too...  Case is very clean too!  Got this from a fellow HFC member too:

1979 Hamer Sunburst Full Shot.jpg1979 Hamer Sunburst Body 3.jpg1979 Hamer Sunburst Body in Case.jpg

I need to buy this guitar

My newly arrived 1978 Sunburst Bound & Crowned. 8 0296. It has the characteristics of the very early Sunbursts. Bakelite cavity cover. The bell truss rod cover cut to fit by Hamer due to Tom Holmes route changes (Yes, I have the book 😆). Original case with Hamer logo and red lining. Grover Bullseyes. DiMarzios with “standard” wiring (not out of phase). One piece neck. A very comfortable ‘C’ profile which fits the palm nicely. 8lb exactly. Mine looks to have had the original mighty mite shimmed bridge replaced with a sustain block. Other than that, it’s all original. 

IMG_4875.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg

Edited by Snoozingcat
  • Like 9