Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Sunburst at Carter's

Serial starts with a 9.

Would like to watch a Demo with Daniel Donato and/or Jason Isbell at Carter's playing that.

• Like 1

She's a beauty!

I find the nut width description interesting:  "Nut width: 1 5/8"  (1.63" by caliper)".

1.625 vs. 1.63 is obviously very close.  Do you think that Carter's is just quoting 1-5/8 because that is what the measurement is supposed to be?  Since the guitar was handcrafted, why not just go with 1.63" and leave it at that?

The store is used to dealing with musicians and collectors.  If they do not put both measurements the musicians will not be smart enough to figure out that 1.630" is the same as 1 5/8", and the snob collectors must know the exact measurements because someone is going to say that they can feel that .005" difference in the nut width. 

• Like 6

Holy moly. Beautiful.
This is an aside, but is it correct that the Sunburst’s bullseye tuners were replaced with smooth backed ones at #9 900? This one has the bullseye version, despite the later serial number. Also, anyone know when the pickup wiring was changed in ‘79? 

Damn that's a nice one...  I'm currently working with HamStd on a potential purchase of a "special" one otherwise I'd be hitting Carter's up for this one.  I like the simplicity of the dot neck.  Looks to be in pretty nice shape overall too for it's age.  We'll see how long it lasts...

• Like 1

I got one from Ernie Santella that was worn and I refretted it.  It's one of my go to guitars to this day.  But I paid significantly less.  Inflation has invaded Carter's!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

I got one from Ernie Santella that was worn and I refretted it.  It's one of my go to guitars to this day.  But I paid significantly less.  Inflation has invaded Carter's!

Agreed, not sure I'd want to fork over $3K for it, but they are getting harder to find in clean, original condition.  That said, I've got to see what HamStd and I can work out before I go doing anything else 😎

Wow! Quite a price but not uncommon considering where it is,you are always going to pay a premium price at Carter's. Hamer guitars have long been under priced for what they are but 3K for a Dot Sunburst? Geez....................I guess if they can get it go for it,certainly that guitar is beautiful.

Edited by ARM OF HAMER

18 hours ago, 1 bottlerocket said:

I know Carter's charges a premium but I was wondering how the price fits in the market. Is it on the high end?

It is on the high end for what we’re accustomed to seeing but markets change and my guess is it sells fairly quickly. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

Agreed, not sure I'd want to fork over $3K for it, but they are getting harder to find in clean, original condition.  That said, I've got to see what HamStd and I can work out before I go doing anything else 😎

Peter has some of the coolest stuff on the planet.  I know.  I sold some of it to him!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, 1 bottlerocket said:

I was seriously looking at it, but wanted some advice on the price. Guess I will not have to worry about it anymore.

Easy come, easy go!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

Wow! Quite a price but not uncommon considering where it is,you are always going to pay a premium price at Carter's.

They've got a rep to maintain y'know, since they're within walking distance from Gruhn's. <_<

• Like 3

They are..........................and I have been to both and both cater to Nashvilles elite musicians.

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 1