Hamer Fan Club Message Center

AMp d00ds? Where do you buy your stuff online?

JGale

Question

13 answers to this question

Thanks! A friend is looking for a new amp and I talked him into a London Power design that you can't buy off the shelf. Topology looks like a Z-28, but uses very weird resistor values, 9K09, etc. Have to use Mouser for those cuz they end up being 1% tolerance in the values.

There is very little on the web. Someone overseas has built and documented one, but like most LP stuff, you need to buy the books to get the dirt. Soma84. 2xEL84 with V1 paralleled. Very non-standard EQ. Should make a great pedal amp!

Shall I document progress here?

Perhaps not directly related to your needs, but I recently had success with https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/

The owner Jerry is a great, long time, no bullshit sort of fella who tests every component and can offer tight tolerances.  They have some things I couldn't find anywhere else.

Mine was for an old British speaker overhaul, but they might have something that you need.

And of course you should document it here.

Ouch! Transformers have gotten expensive! $300 so far from Antique Electronics. Resistor to come from Mouser. I expect to get out of this at or around $400.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, JGale said:

Ouch! Transformers have gotten expensive! $300 so far from Antique Electronics. Resistor to come from Mouser. I expect to get out of this at or around $400.

$100 to Grainger for preassembled rectifier board plus all the heavy duty power supply resistors and some sweet caps. I sprunged for the FET powered input jack (SOMA is not a high gain amp), but I'm thinking of DC for the heaters, so I can run something like a JFET boost off the input jack, switchable.

Anyone ever use low voltage DC circuits in high voltage amps? Can't be new. Fuchs is using digital reverb now. I'ma guess up front it makes grounding details important.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, JGale said:

Anyone ever use low voltage DC circuits in high voltage amps? Can't be new. Fuchs is using digital reverb now. I'ma guess up front it makes grounding details important.

Some Pre amps used low voltage tube circuits. I have only dealt with the ART pre's and compessors, it's hard to compare. But I know my high voltage pre's sounded better! 

Archived