Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: Hamer Trifecta

thought you guys might enjoy this...   I guess its a Hamer Special Artist???   1999 .. got it from original owner.. I guess he bought it at a GC in 2000..  Anyhow, I couldn't pass it up.  Sounds and plays great as expected.  Has a dark rosewood neck.. medium size and the finish looks great in person.   Has 9's on it now .. will slap 10's on it and see how it does with the band this weekend at our gig..  I'll have to make a decision on it..  I really might regret selling this one.  Anyhow.. here it is :)

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

It's a Vanguard.  I bought one off ebay 21 or 22  years ago, and played it in the basement with a few of the guys just a few days ago.  When asked, "if you had to narrow your Hamer collection down to 3 guitars, which would they be?," the Vanguard made the cut over quite a few more expensive Hamers.  Not that I'm doing any narrowing any time soon.

5 minutes ago, neastguy said:

so this is a vanguard?   for some reason I thought the Vanguard had those checkmark inlays on it

Nope, like BruceM said its a Vanguard. The only difference between a Vanguard and a 25th was the color and the 25th on the headstock. 

The first "Artists Korina"s produced were marketed as "Vanguard Korina"s until I guess Hamer had to stop using the name "Vanguard" for some legal reason.

I have an official Hamer price list from both 1998 and 2004, and neither one shows the Vanguard.  98 was pre and 2004 was post-Vanguard marketing for Hamer.  By 2004, it had become the Artist Mahogany.  

41 minutes ago, BruceM said:

I have an official Hamer price list from both 1998 and 2004, and neither one shows the Vanguard.  98 was pre and 2004 was post-Vanguard marketing for Hamer.  By 2004, it had become the Artist Mahogany.  

so its not a Vanguard 

40 minutes ago, neastguy said:

so its not a Vanguard 

In 1999 it was referred to as a Vanguard. By 2001 they changed the name to Artist Mahogany with an optional silver sparkle finish. Either way, that’s a sweet guitar. Congrats on the grab. 

D38F0F04-9296-4023-87DA-E3858EE43C42.jpeg

62A85872-12CF-42EF-AECC-D3B5005FA264.jpeg

5 hours ago, neastguy said:

...I'll have to make a decision on it..  I really might regret selling this one. ..

Decision?? What decision? Keep them all!

That's a great looking guitar - congrats!

Every one of those I've seen has a really sharp serial number - almost looks like a thinner finish coat compared to most of the other Hamers from that timeframe.  The s/n on the 2FIG Phantom Custom is almost completely filled in with finish which was unusual for the New Hartford shop.

1 hour ago, stonge said:

That's a great looking guitar - congrats!

Every one of those I've seen has a really sharp serial number - almost looks like a thinner finish coat compared to most of the other Hamers from that timeframe.  The s/n on the 2FIG Phantom Custom is almost completely filled in with finish which was unusual for the New Hartford shop.

its pretty deepspacer.png

I have a Korina Artist with P90's. I bought that right after I sold my Monel with P90's because it was to heavy. The Artist's tone has aged amazingly. From sweet and purdy to growling like a pissed of cat it's in there, just from how hard you play it. 

Keep it! You won't regret it!

Yeah, I'm guessing Hamer heard from Kramer, who already had a guitar called Vanguard out in the market at the time. But whatever, if your silver-sparkle semi-hollow Hamer with P-90s has a serial number starting with a 9 then Vanguard is the preferred nomenclature, IMHO.

7 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

Nobody?

There was ONE custom ordered white Mahogany Artist with Ebony/boomers.  Just one.

AFEDAF69-C8DC-4908-A1A9-252DFB7775A0.jpeg

Well I think I am going to put it up for sale..  Mainly because Im not a collector..  and I think I'll find myself grabbing my Hamer Korina Jr. the most.   I just cant deny that guitar.  And I already have an Artist so I feel like my p90 artist world is already covered.  I think I need maybe a Gretsch style guitar in my life.. which I dont have.  Anyhow.. once I figure out a price I'll be posting..  unless of course I change my mind :)   

• 6 months later...
On 7/14/2022 at 4:29 AM, neastguy said:

Well I think I am going to put it up for sale..  Mainly because Im not a collector..  and I think I'll find myself grabbing my Hamer Korina Jr. the most.   I just cant deny that guitar.  And I already have an Artist so I feel like my p90 artist world is already covered.  I think I need maybe a Gretsch style guitar in my life.. which I dont have.  Anyhow.. once I figure out a price I'll be posting..  unless of course I change my mind :)   

Or maybe slap some Gretsch-style TVJ FilterTrons in the soapbar cavities?

Archived