Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Pedalboard" Amps

Any thoughts?  I've tried the Quilter Superblock.  meh. 

Tried the DSM Simplifier. Very usable. Small, cheap and "good enough".  Not great, but good. 

Tried a BluGuitar Amp1.  Better, but bigger, more expensive.  Love having a dual volume control, but to use it, I need a DI (that handles speaker level), a phantom power box, a speaker emulator...  the pedalboard will be massive to handle all of this...

I know an obvious response is "Kemper", but that's a big jump for me. I've always been an amp guy. The BluGuitar amp still behaves like an amp (though not a tube amp like I'm used to...)

Anyway - any thoughts before I build an 80 pound pedalboard and feel like a fool?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seymour Duncan has a line of such amps. I have not tried one but they appear to get good reviews.

Rather than the "Superblock" you might try one of the Quilter miniheads. They are roughly the same size as the BluGuitar at less cost. Plenty of power. I have played out using only that (fronted by my single favorite pedal) with good results. Very easy to carry in with a small separate 1 x 12 or similar cab. I had no trouble matching up with a half stack.

I have 2; a Hotone Loudster (75w @ 4 ohms), & a TC Bam200 (actually a bass head, 200w @ 4 ohms). I use the Loudster w/ my Pod Go (which I have set up w/ a 10 band EQ). I would use the Bam200 if I had to use regular pedals and needed the onboard bass/mid/treble controls. I rewired my Marshall cab to 4 ohms. Works for me.

Loudster.jpg

tc bam200.jpg

50 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Then why change? 🤔

Long story.

I will still use a tube amp for the band gigs. The church and (rare) theater/ whatever gigs are getting harder to do with an amp. 

Amp is usually in another room now, and (bigger issue) is getting less reliable to get a good sound out of. Not because of the amp, but because of the various opportunities for the sound guy to not have the levels right. (buffer from the pedalboard to the long run to the amp; another buffer on the mic for the long run back to the pre; the pre; the board...)

If the sound engineer is there, I can tell him it sounds like ass, and he'll fix it. If he's not there, I'm at the mercy of a volunteer. Not complaining (well, I am, I guess)  They're doing the best they can. 

With this, I can get a consistent signal that I'm dropping right to the board. Less chance for drama. 

I'm also splitting time been two states, now. So I *might* be able to use this when I'm out of state. Less to lug around, but that might not be true...  it certainly is true if it is just a pedalboard amp like the Blu or others listed above. 

Then I would do something like the TC or the SD with a preamp style pedal, with OD’s and effects in front of it. 

Have you tried a DV Mark?

if you gotta have tubes, get you a Tube Amp. Check out the Khan

There are two versions of the ISP Stealth that could be considered pedal board amps except the use a laptop style AC adapter that has to go somewhere.

Straight power amp, you would need pedals and some tone stack. Probably not what you want but curious is anyone has tried one

41 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Then I would do something like the TC or the SD with a preamp style pedal, with OD’s and effects in front of it. 

Have you tried a DV Mark?

if you gotta have tubes, get you a Tube Amp. Check out the Khan

That Khan (Khaaaan!!!! : ) looks/sounds great. A little pricey for me right now, but that is now on the list. 

Haven't tried the DV Mark. Does that make it down to clean and vintage?  The one demo I just watched made it out to be a metal machine.   

1 minute ago, veatch said:

That Khan (Khaaaan!!!! : ) looks/sounds great. A little pricey for me right now, but that is now on the list. 

Haven't tried the DV Mark. Does that make it down to clean and vintage?  The one demo I just watched made it out to be a metal machine.   

This is one I had briefly looked into before. Designed as a pedal platform and definitely not used for metal here. Not technically a pedalboard amp; but small and compact…

Would a Tech21 Flyrig do it for ya? That and one of the powered pedals to drive a speaker for you to monitor. 

7 hours ago, Travis said:

This is one I had briefly looked into before. Designed as a pedal platform and definitely not used for metal here. Not technically a pedalboard amp; but small and compact…

Very cool. 

Luck of the draw - the video I saw before was for the 250m - I guess the m is for Metalz.  : )

9 hours ago, veatch said:

So the hotone has an amp sim in front of it?  

Yeah, Pod Go (90% of the time it's on a plexi patch), I use the "amp out" output which bypasses the cab sim (the other output w/ cab sim could go to the PA direct, but I haven't tried that, I mic up my cab).

I've had a few of the 200W Quilters. Not sure if they qualify as pedalboard amps although they aren't as big as some fancy digital pedals. I'm quite fond of the Overdrive 202. I keep around an older MIA Toneblock 201. I like the older EQ options it had. There's some great sounds in there.

Obeid Khan's Pak amp is legit. He's a good dude. He plays mostly Plexi's so you know when he designed the original Pak amp it's a Marshall-esque tone he was going for. The dude designed many of the Magnatone amps.

39 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I hated the Superblock US for the church gig but the UK is working out. 

I like mine, too. I just use it for DI at home, so no experience with live use. The speaker sims are ok, good enough for my needs. I put a Catalinbread DLS in front and starve it with 4volts from the power supply. 

That said, I DO like the AC30 sim. I can get a great clangle with the Top Boost part. 

9 hours ago, golem said:

I've had a few of the 200W Quilters. Not sure if they qualify as pedalboard amps although they aren't as big as some fancy digital pedals. I'm quite fond of the Overdrive 202. I keep around an older MIA Toneblock 201. I like the older EQ options it had. There's some great sounds in there.

Obeid Khan's Pak amp is legit. He's a good dude. He plays mostly Plexi's so you know when he designed the original Pak amp it's a Marshall-esque tone he was going for. The dude designed many of the Magnatone amps.

Obeid was a student at my store in the early 80's.  He must have heard us bitching about the absence of a reliable workingman's tube amp as he trudged in and out of the store with his stratocopy and DOD fuzzbox.  He went on to design the Crate Vintage Club series (still massively under rated IMO), the Ampeg reissues, a line of his own under the Reason brand, the Magnatones and now these.  Nice guy and a pretty damn good pedigree, IMO.

Still, if I were in the market for such a thing, the Seymour Duncans would be the first place I'd look.

Archived