Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Pedalboard" Amps

Have you tried a Plexi and two 4x12s?

Now seriously, if you don't need the power section you could try a Tech 21 Sansamp GT2, I used one and got usable sounds direct to board.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have the 2205 and the 45w Germino and the 45w clone that I built. Big glass just has that sumpin sumpin about it...  : )  Those never leave the house these days. 

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I like the Khan, or at least some form of board mountable tube head that I can either connect to a mic'd cab for gigs lor go direct for the church gigs. 

there seem to be a lot more options out there than I was aware of. Which is why I asked the question.  : )

This place rocks. 

On 7/11/2022 at 11:14 AM, veatch said:

So the hotone has an amp sim in front of it?  

Yes. I guess you were looking for all-in-one type floor amps, my bad.

I should mention I briefly had one of these Hotone Britwind all in ones. I sold it, it was hissy yet dark sounding, would do in an emergency, I guess.

I use either a Reverend Kingsnake 20/60 watt or Goblin 5/15 watt 1x12 combo amp and Fractal Audio FX-8 floor effects processor onstage for my cover band gigs. I don't know if I would want a pedalboard amp. I have yet to try one, but I like the sound of a good tube amp and speaker of my choice as my stage rig than a tube preamp/solid state power amp type of pedalboard amp. I do like the Khan Pak II 2 channel 18 watt amp head and the Strymon Iridium for an amp less/IEM stage sitaution. I also own a Stiff 90-AD 2 channel 50 watt lunchbox amp head and a Krank 1980 Jr. 20 watt amp head that I might be bringing out back into my amp rotation. I recently bought a Legendary Tones Hot Mod V2 EVO tube circuit from Dave Szabados. It made my Stiff 90-AD into fire breathing tube amp monster! 

Guitar George

2 hours ago, Brooks said:

Yes. I guess you were looking for all-in-one type floor amps, my bad.

I should mention I briefly had one of these Hotone Britwind all in ones. I sold it, it was hissy yet dark sounding, would do in an emergency, I guess.

Thanks. Good to know, as I was looking at that one. Looking at the H&K as well. 

And the Khan, the Victory, the Milkman...

To many choices for an engineer with OCD...

• 4 months later...

A used BluGuitar Amp1 Mercury surfaced locally last week and I snagged it. I am knocked out by this thing, the tones are legit! I run it thru a wedge monitor w/ a Celestion Gold. I don't use DI tones, which seems to be the common criticism on these things. I'm not doing any band gigs since quitting the geezer RAWK band last summer, but I am going to rewire my Marshall cab to 16 ohms to use it for jams upstairs in the RAWK room. 

18 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

I prefer a real tube amp, but when necessary, I really like the Ethos Overdrive.

wtw5xbyut6pg4m09mwom.png

I guess I am boring, but I am a long time advocate of the Ethos. If you get the amp version (add about $200) you get a 30 watt solid state amp, reportedly the equivalent volume level of a Deluxe Reverb, built in. I have played gigs with nothing but that, a Flint Rev/Trem pedal and a light 1 x 12 cab. And, I dare say, been second to none amongst various modern and vintage amps that popped up at a jam.....It takes a while to dial it in with all those knobs. But once you do.......

If you’re looking for something that can power a cab but fits in a pedalboard, look at the Vox MV50 amps.  I have the Rock (Marshall) version and love it.  The Nutube makes it feel like a “real amp”.  

For a speaker-emulation DI, I like my H&K Red Box.  Stupid simple with no software to worry about.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:46 AM, Brooks said:

A used BluGuitar Amp1 Mercury surfaced locally last week and I snagged it. I am knocked out by this thing, the tones are legit! I run it thru a wedge monitor w/ a Celestion Gold. I don't use DI tones, which seems to be the common criticism on these things. I'm not doing any band gigs since quitting the geezer RAWK band last summer, but I am going to rewire my Marshall cab to 16 ohms to use it for jams upstairs in the RAWK room. 

Had to Google that one, it looks pretty bitchin'.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:11 PM, veatch said:

Thanks. Good to know, as I was looking at that one. Looking at the H&K as well. 

And the Khan, the Victory, the Milkman...

To many choices for an engineer with OCD...

Agree. I picked up a Quilter Superblock US out of curiosity and as a backup. Played one gig, sounded great into a 1x12 for stage and the DI to the main system was great. Haven’t played it out again yet, but will do so. Works well with pedals, can patch to a different power amp or no power amp if you want. 

I keep going to my Boogie Express 5:25+. Enough power, not too much stuff and good flexibility. Mic it as needed. Then there is the MKIIA, Sarno SMS preamp with power amp, Marshall 50W…. And pedals, rack effects to mix and match.

If I were to go amp-less, so many possibilities. 

If you want to do what I did, which was go with an expensive, completely untested product from a Scandinavian mad scientist with a proven track record, this is worth a look: https://www.himmelstrutz.com/eight/

I'm still in the testing stages with this one, and I'm really pleasantly surprised at how it's working out with a bunch of other pedals stacked in front of it, and running straight out to an 8-ohm cab..  Power requirements are a bit tricky (24VDC @ 1A center positive), but I will say, it's TINY!

I found myself needing to go direct to the FOH so I got this!

I put it at the end of my pedalboard and leave it on the clean Fender Twin setting altho the JTM 45 is dang nice too! Foldback thru a JBL EON 10. No complaints, works with my pedals just Dandy! Got it used for 100 bucks!

20221212_151905.jpg

On 7/11/2022 at 10:29 AM, veatch said:

With this, I can get a consistent signal that I'm dropping right to the board. Less chance for drama.

A lot of "small amp" suggestions here, but if what you want is to go straight into the board (and that's what I do, for the reasons you cite), you mentioned the DSM + Humboldt Simplifier. I also thought t was okay but not great, but then after a few months revisited it because I was gonna sell it. When I stick a good compressor in front (I'm using an Origin Cali 76) and a little reverb as my last pedal, it sounds way better. The compressor gives it a more "this is loud" thing, while the reverb adds a "this is in a speaker cabinet" thing. I get compliments now on the sound.

If you're splitting time between two states (as I am now) maybe the easiest is the Fractal AX8 (mentioned earlier) or something like it. The Fractal sounds awesome but I sold mine when it was clear it was gonna be discontinued, to get max bucks. Kind of a bear to learn, but super portable so you don't need to carry stuff back and forth between locations. Pedalboard+amp in one, Fractal in the other?

I'd start with how many sounds and buttons you need access to for your purposes.  If it's only like clean, dirt, lead, the HX Stomp is great and self contained, or easily add 2 buttons or an expression pedal.  For that matter, Stomp XL has the extra buttons but still self contained.  To me, they have the best UI of all the modelers.  They should license it to everyone else.  

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

I'd start with how many sounds and buttons you need access to for your purposes.  If it's only like clean, dirt, lead, the HX Stomp is great and self contained, or easily add 2 buttons or an expression pedal.  For that matter, Stomp XL has the extra buttons but still self contained.  To me, they have the best UI of all the modelers.  They should license it to everyone else.  

Boss has a new GT-1000 Core that apparently has all the GT-1000 power in a smaller box, if you need more stuff. I've heard great things about the HX Stomp, of course. Pretty much all the digital modelers seem to sound fine once you find your sound, if that is your bag. If you wanna keep pedals, the Strymon Iridium models just the amp and cab so you direct to board, but I haven't tried that. Could be a neat solution that won't require extra stuff to make it sounds good.

I've tried a lot of these.  The Boss GT-1000 Core is the same processing shrunk down a bit.  Love the form factor.  Boss could really use the Helix UI.  On the computer it's fine, but on device, it just OK.  Sounds are great and yeah, basically anything can get you good sounds these days, even the Valeton GP-200 and the Hotone Ampero. 

I would buy a Fractal FM3 and use 4 cable method thru an amp and out to FOH. After a while you’ll get a  a powered speaker and wont look back. Great sounds and effects, probably never need more.

arniez

On 12/14/2022 at 2:25 PM, polara said:

Boss has a new GT-1000 Core that apparently has all the GT-1000 power in a smaller box, if you need more stuff. I've heard great things about the HX Stomp, of course. Pretty much all the digital modelers seem to sound fine once you find your sound, if that is your bag. If you wanna keep pedals, the Strymon Iridium models just the amp and cab so you direct to board, but I haven't tried that. Could be a neat solution that won't require extra stuff to make it sounds good.

Yep. This is my ride these days (GT-1000 Core into a Quilter Aviator Mach 3). I skip the GT amp simulators in my main signal path to the Quilter (I put the GT amp sims in a 2nd ("sub-out) signal path to the PA)  and run the Quilter on an edge-of-breakup setting. Very, very pleased.

IMG_0140.jpeg

19 hours ago, jwhitcomb3 said:

Yep. This is my ride these days (GT-1000 Core into a Quilter Aviator Mach 3). I skip the GT amp simulators in my main signal path to the Quilter (I put the GT amp sims in a 2nd ("sub-out) signal path to the PA)  and run the Quilter on an edge-of-breakup setting. Very, very pleased.

IMG_0140.jpeg

How are your extra switches set up, just more effects?

Archived