Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer Double Cut (Facebook Marketplace)

Thanks for sharing that, jer-vic. The listing states it was listed 11 weeks ago. Surprising, at that price? If only I hadn’t bought two new guitars in the last 4 months…

Good price for that model in VG+ condition.  I have a '93 just like it that was my first Hamer.  That finish is "TV Yellow", not "natural" FWIW.

I asked for an up close of the head stock and the seller just resent the same picture in the listing. I am not going to take a leap of faith like that, as good as it looks. I politely explained that I am having a hard time seeing the head stock and would they please send another up close photo. THen they sent this photo of the back showing the serial number 231544headstock_Back.jpg.dd9aa302f579022541f9378afd2fe078.jpg

15 minutes ago, 1 bottlerocket said:

I asked for an up close of the head stock and the seller just resent the same picture in the listing. I am not going to take a leap of faith like that, as good as it looks. I politely explained that I am having a hard time seeing the head stock and would they please send another up close photo. THen they sent this photo of the back showing the serial number 231544

It says it comes with a case too.  I wonder if it's original.  There does seem to be some weirdness there - up for 11 weeks with no takes, that Ernie Ball (or is it 3 of them?) in one of the other listings that's $200 and been up for 4 years....  Be careful.

Edit:  On a  more careful read, the other ad says "Ernie Ball EVH style", so probably cheap copies?  Not as bad as I thought.

40 minutes ago, 1 bottlerocket said:

Yeah, I am treading cautiously. The photos almost look as if they are lifted from a screen. The quality is really bad.

You are right, you can see a phone and the hand holding it reflecting on the headstock pictures.

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

I honestly don't see anything suspicious about those ads

Maybe not suspicious, but I asked three times for a close-up of the front of the head stock. The first time the seller re-sent the photo of the ad, the next time they sent a photo of the back, this time they sent the above photo. It appears to be a nice guitar at a great price, but who is willing to take a 900 chance?

It’s been up 11 weeks cuZ it’s fugly(imo different strokes for different folks and all).  Those mustard specials from the early 90’s seem to sit around for sale for awhile, even at reasonable prices. 

13 hours ago, 1 bottlerocket said:

The seller just sent me a message saying her husband bought the guitar in mid '89 and that it has been in the studio ever since. Based on the serial number I dated it to 1992. If I am correct I find it hard to believe he bought it before it was made?

Time machine?

If the seller is honest (let's assume), she probably is a little older and doesn't know the difference between the headstock and the rest of the guitar.  My wife wouldn't, and I've tried hard to teach her (Honey, look at this.  Is it a Tele or a Les Paul?  Single coil or hum bucker?  335 or V?)  She still (more than a decade later) can't tell.  

Funny how this works, but most scammers pose as women/girls because stupid men let their guards down.   I deal with a lot of fraud in my day job, and I lost count of how often this scam was played decades ago.

Archived