Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Congrats on the Watson 

Yeah above average just slightly 😄

Hamerica

I guess if you like that kind of thing…maybe…

6 minutes ago, cynic said:

Is that the one formerly owned by Nancy Wilson?

It’s not, but it is the only other one I’ve ever seen with a trem. Which I think looks quite balanced on the design :)

Here is Nancy Wilsons guitar.

It has a sustainiac and a very figured maple neck

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

It’s ok I suppose.

Definitely above average.

spacer.png

Oh yeah, "Just Ok I suppose" he says.

Damn Nice Rare 27 Fret Find I Say💜💜💜💜💜💜💜

7 hours ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

It’s ok I suppose.

Definitely above average.

spacer.png

Incredible in all respects! Would this have been made in the mid-‘80’s?

If you don’t mind, about some details, starting with where you found it?

Enjoy that thing! Not quite the Vintage S you were seeking.

8 hours ago, topekatj said:

I'd be delighted to - in the meantime - it was a sunny day here in blightly...

spacer.png

On 7/13/2022 at 3:42 AM, scottcald said:

Wow, beautiful!

I remember seeing those PJ Marx pickups in magazines.  Never actually encountered any in real life.  How are they?

The pickups are interesting - as a 92 guitar this guitar would have been build with Seymour Duncan units - in fact I have found a photo of this exact guitar from years back with SDs installed. Somewhere along the line someone has put a PJ Marx set in to recreate the original spec from the 80s - although I've seen Watsons with all sorts of different pickups in including mixed between brands.

I happen to love the look of them - and they sound great too!

I recall that both Jeff and Brad Gillis had signature PJ Marx pickups - Brad's was a high output unit - Jeff's was a lot less so.

In anticipation of this one landing I managed to find and buy some more PJ Marx pickups in order to have spares for this guitar, and to use in other guitars if I was bowled over. They are pretty scarce - and there's not much info out there about them.

Here is a video of Gary Moore playing a Heritage LP with PJ Marx pickups and the tone is pretty fierce:

PJ Marx himself is long out of the pickup game - there's precious little info about his pickups out there - please let me know of any more info if you know of it :) 

These days he's making special ammunition for home defence... ahem...

Whacking a multimeter across the pickups in this guitar ,the neck unit reads 9k ohms and the bridge humbucker reads 6.5k ohms.

I know DCR is not an accurate measure of output but the guitar tones between pickups are superbly balanced - in between selector 'sounds' out of phase to me - which is a useful tone to have.

They have a very clear character - not too much in the way of overtones even on the single coil - and they dont seem to lack output compared with some of my other guitars/pickups.

Is there anything else I can do to measure the pickups character over and above DCR?

I really like them and unlikely to change them out for anything else - I think they look totally correct for the guitar!

I could not be happier!

On 7/13/2022 at 5:47 AM, topekatj said:

This all started a few years ago when I was trying to work out a deal for a custom order figured body Centaura.

I'm lucky enough to have one which I bought yonks back from @atquinn which has a flamed body and chrome hardware, the one I tracked drown had black hardware and a quilted body.

I worked out a deal with the owner, and we agreed a sale and got sorting out payment.

The rug was pulled out from under me when the seller tried to contact the previous owner (name on headstock), who begged him to sell it to him, which he did at the same price I agreed, and then told me afterwards.

I was so pissed off at that pair of fucking penises for turning me over and unhooking my deal 

Anyway, after that I contacted Peter for a chat and mentioned a photo of a guitar I has seen fews previously - the Custom Green Vintage S. That guitar is so wonderful it more than made up for the lost Centaura.

Time passed....

And guess what, the wanker who intercepted my Centaura deal turns up on the HFC looking for more of his of Hamers which he had sold into pawn due to divorce.

He mentioned he got the Centaura back - my attack mode was then activated...

He goes on to say he had some 'pull' at Hamer and so they made him some guitars that only he could have ordered - because he's so important and influential (eyes rolling so hard in my head).

He had a Watson with a hard tail - which one of our esteemed crowd had some info on its current whereabouts.

While cruising around Reverb I saw a Hamer case for sale with the Centaura in the pictures to help sell it - the Centaura had a different bridge - this bell end was parting it out?!? 

This guy has even got a special guitar nickname which all his music friends call him apparently..... Mind you, I thought of some more suitable names for the fucking bloated grinning prick.

This increased my general irritability from its baseline irascibility to mildly bemused enragement.

So I let that simmer for a bit - just keep my cortisol levels nice and high for a few months.

I saw a Black Watson come up for sale in Japan but wasn't ready to go and hesitated - missed - and was butt-hurt.

I started to think that a Watson was as cool a guitar as there is out there, and one with a with a Floyd would be even more so - so I dropped a line to Peter with that specific query - which was a silly query if ever I've heard of one - Watson rare...Watson with trem - dont be silly.

... and joyously, joy of joys - (and as has happened for me before) - Peter said..."hmmmm, as it happens...."

And thats how we got here - the guitar had a pitstop over at Mikes for a bit of a touch up on a couple of finish repairs - and a Phil set up - and as we waded through Covid with some really dodgy logistics activity internationally - we decided to keep the guitar on that side of the pond for safety.

We sorted out all the logistics finally using a reverse shipment - in that I arranged the shipping from the UK side, and had DHL pick up from Mike, and ship back over to me in Blighty.

It shipped on the Tuesday, and was out for delivery to my place that Friday - that shipment cost £96 - thats amazing value and super speed!

So - this mega guitar event was all initiated by a complete knob end buggering up a deal for a completely different guitar a year or more prior to that!!

I'll call that super-karma!

25 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

And guess what, the wanker who intercepted my Centaura deal turns up on the HFC looking for more of his of Hamers which he had sold into pawn due to divorce.

He goes on to say he had some 'pull' at Hamer and so they made him some guitars that only he could have ordered - because he's so important and influential (eyes rolling so hard in my head).

This guy has even got a special guitar nickname which all his music friends call him apparently..... Mind you, I thought of some more suitable names for the fucking bloated grinning prick.

Sooooooooooo... who is he? 🤣

52 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

This all started a few years ago when I was trying to work out a deal for a custom order figured body Centaura.

I'm lucky enough to have one which I bought yonks back from @atquinn which has a flamed body and chrome hardware, the one I tracked drown had black hardware and a quilted body.

I worked out a deal with the owner, and we agreed a sale and got sorting out payment.

The rug was pulled out from under me when the seller tried to contact the previous owner (name on headstock), who begged him to sell it to him, which he did at the same price I agreed, and then told me afterwards.

I was so pissed off at that pair of fucking penises for turning me over and unhooking my deal 

Anyway, after that I contacted Peter for a chat and mentioned a photo of a guitar I has seen fews previously - the Custom Green Vintage S. That guitar is so wonderful it more than made up for the lost Centaura.

Time passed....

He mentioned he got the Centaura back - my attack mode was then activated...

He had a Watson with a hard tail - which one of our esteemed crowd had some info on its current whereabouts.

While cruising around Reverb I saw a Hamer case for sale with the Centaura in the pictures to help sell it - the Centaura had a different bridge - this bell end was parting it out?!? 

This increased my general irritability from its baseline irascibility to mildly bemused enragement.

So I let that simmer for a bit - just keep my cortisol levels nice and high for a few months.

I saw a Black Watson come up for sale in Japan but wasn't ready to go and hesitated - missed - and was butt-hurt.

I started to think that a Watson was as cool a guitar as there is out there, and one with a with a Floyd would be even more so - so I dropped a line to Peter with that specific query - which was a silly query if ever I've heard of one - Watson rare...Watson with trem - dont be silly.

... and joyously, joy of joys - (and as has happened for me before) - Peter said..."hmmmm, as it happens...."

And thats how we got here - the guitar had a pitstop over at Mikes for a bit of a touch up on a couple of finish repairs - and a Phil set up - and as we waded through Covid with some really dodgy logistics activity internationally - we decided to keep the guitar on that side of the pond for safety.

We sorted out all the logistics finally using a reverse shipment - in that I arranged the shipping from the UK side, and had DHL pick up from Mike, and ship back over to me in Blighty.

It shipped on the Tuesday, and was out for delivery to my place that Friday - that shipment cost £96 - thats amazing value and super speed!

So - this mega guitar event was all initiated by a complete knob end buggering up a deal for a completely different guitar a year or more prior to that!!

I'll call that super-karma!

I can’t help but hear this in the voice of Billy Butcher from The Boys, lol.

I fell in love with the Watson years ago when I first joined the HFC (2004-ish…?)

I believe it was Mobster’s that I first saw. Anyway, I had always said I wanted one, but never came close to pulling the trigger because I read somewhere that the Watson necks were really thin. Seeing your new acquisition makes me think I should get over myself and track one down anyway…

Archived