Hamer Fan Club Message Center

YTR: "Seasons In The Abyss" VS "Rust In Peace" (1990 Thrash Metal Guitar Riffs Battle)

28 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Between the two, Megadeth is infinitely more complex and interesting

I swing the other way.  The Slayer tunes got my body naturally moving with the rhythm, where the Megadeath tunes left me feeling tense.

Head banging vs head scratching for me.

Out of the Big 4, Megadeth has always been my favorite despite Mustaine's vocals.  That might even contribute to why I like them best.  His snarly, nasal delivery just seems to fit the music just like Joey Belladonna is the only Anthrax singer for me.  I only saw them once, but that was on the Peace Sells tour in a tiny club with Gar Samuelson and Chris Poland so I'm glad I went to that.

I liked Metallica just fine up through the Black Album, although I'm one of the rare few who thinks And Justice for All is their worst up to that point.  Everybody loves Master of Puppets of course, but Ride the Lightning is my favorite by far.  I liked Anthrax up until John Bush joined.  Even though he was a great singer, something changed musically too that I couldn't connect with as much.  I never got into Slayer although I have the "right" three albums of theirs.  I couldn't make out the riffs as much on their stuff and didn't care for the atonal/noise solos.

Definitely a Megafan over here. By far my favorite of the big 4. I believe I’ve seen Megadeth in concert more than any other band, 6 or 7 times, maybe 8…?

I’ve seen the other 3 twice each, one was the big 4 show in Indio, CA. 

I got all of Metallica’s stuff up until Garage Inc, but don’t really listen to anything later than the black album. 

Anthrax fell off for me starting with the John Bush era, but Worship Music when Joey came back had some good tracks on it. 

Never liked Slayer. Just couldn’t get into them at all. 

I used to love big 4 thrash stuff up til maybe 1990, then I kinda got over it, now I'm super selective on which tunes I like. I no longer like fast blast beat type grooves because they DON'T, ha. Metallica's Garage Inc covers are my fave, then Ride & Puppets. I like Slayers mid tempo & slow stuff from South & Seasons. 'Thrax & Megadave come in last, I like just a few tunes of each nowadays. I tend to listen to fusion for chops, I like my metal dumb, so "stoner rock" gets spun more often here, faves are COC, Kyuss, Wino's many bands, Sasquatch, & my all time fave Sabs.

EDIT - Reading back thru the thread, I feel obligated to list the gigs;

Metallica - 2x w/ Cliff, 2x w/ Jason, 1x w/ Trujillo;

Megadave - Peace Sells tour w/ Poland & Gar;

'Thrax - Disease tour headlining a theater, & Euphoria tour w/ Ozzy.

Never saw Slayer live.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Definitely a Megafan over here. By far my favorite of the big 4. I believe I’ve seen Megadeth in concert more than any other band, 6 or 7 times, maybe 8…?

I’ve seen the other 3 twice each, one was the big 4 show in Indio, CA. 

I got all of Metallica’s stuff up until Garage Inc, but don’t really listen to anything later than the black album. 

Anthrax fell off for me starting with the John Bush era, but Worship Music when Joey came back had some good tracks on it. 

Never liked Slayer. Just couldn’t get into them at all. 

Very similar to my story, except I haven't gotten to see all these bands as many times as you have.

2 minutes ago, RobB said:

You kidding me, bro? Kerry King was into, “harmolodic soloing”, long before Vernon Reid made his mark!

Nope not kidding.  Hah. Never liked Tom Araya’s voice. 

Archived