Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Maxed out Truss Rod on 97 Strat

LucSulla

Question

So I have a 97 Roadhouse Strat with a maxed out truss rod. I thought it was stuck, and it kind of was, but that's because it's as tight as it will get. A tad of WD-40 and a night to soak broke it loose again, but it only loosens. 

Thing is that I love this guitar, bathtub route and all. I'd buy another, but the damn late-90s Strats have doubled in price vs. what I paid back in 2017.

I'm guessing that, based on the design, there's no washer trick or whatnot that can be done here and that my choice is either a replacement neck or high action. But I wanted to make sure before throwing in the towel on it. 

6 answers to this question

It might have a dual action truss rod.  Sometimes there's a dead spot berween the two. Keep going, if the nut comes off with out changes then probly not dual action. I've run into some that the wood gets compressed, but you don't think that will work. Anyhow don't be afraid to unscrew the nut. It'll go right back on. Pictures would be helpful !!!

4 hours ago, Dutchman said:

It might have a dual action truss rod.  Sometimes there's a dead spot berween the two. Keep going, if the nut comes off with out changes then probly not dual action. I've run into some that the wood gets compressed, but you don't think that will work. Anyhow don't be afraid to unscrew the nut. It'll go right back on. Pictures would be helpful !!!

It's a Bi-Flex, so it works both ways but is still a single rod. There is also a walnut plug in front of the nut, so while you can back it out, you can't actually remove it without pulling the plug. 

3 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Mine is from when they were still small headstocks and made in the USA. I'll go the Warmouth route if I need to replace it rather than sourcing one of those later, Mexico necks. Any late-90s American strat neck would be the same, but they are fetching a pretty penny these days. 

Archived