Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ted Nugent tonight in Jacksonville

56 minutes ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

Grange said suddenly he didn’t get credit for some songwriting and the concert income morphed into being paid scale. 

Rob Grange. Pisces, works for scale. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek said that he and Rob Grange, maybe even Cliff Davies, got together for a jam sometime within the last 20 years.  Derek said they still had the magic when they played together. 

I am contemplating a trip to Huntsville in a couple of days to see Ted play.  I have a ticket to see him in Reading, PA later in the month. 

I just watched a YouTube vid of Ted last week in Waukesha, WI. He can still haul ass and plays a lot of guitar.

Love it.

On 7/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, Ranger said:

I can't get past the fact that Nugent is a vile excuse for a human being. 

Yes, unlike your Earth-God, “Captain Trips”,  who went to an early grave gorging on food, booze and freebasing cocaine? 

Be offended at Ted’s big mouth all you want, but he learned early on playing shows with Janis, Iggy, and Jimi that he NEVER wanted to end up like them. Guess who won?

On 8/1/2022 at 12:47 AM, RobB said:

Yes, unlike your Earth-God, “Captain Trips”,  who went to an early grave gorging on food, booze and freebasing cocaine? 

Be offended at Ted’s big mouth all you want, but he learned early on playing shows with Janis, Iggy, and Jimi that he NEVER wanted to end up like them. Guess who won?

Concentration camp Nazis who eluded justice and died of old age, they are not winners. Jerry killed himself with drugs and excess, but he didn't spew hateful rhetoric to stay relevant. Nugent was just in the news again the other day - he was questioned about an interview back in the day when he said he avoided the draft by showing up at the recruiting office covered with piss and shit. Today he admits he said that story, but says it wasn't really him, it was one of his band mates.  And his lie doesn't matter anyway because the Vietnam war was illegal and unjust. 

I like some of Nugent's songs including Stranglehold, Hey Baby and Snakeskin Cowboy. But I won't listen to them anymore. More power to you if you still find him to be entertaining. And I'm done arguing about Nugent, this is the stuff that will get me in trouble with the moderators. I want to stay welcome.

Yeah I prefer to avoid the politics of the situation and I really do like his music. That said I am old enough to remember him bragging more than a few times about getting out of the draft back in the day. Maybe today is like back then. He probably enjoys being confrontational if it helps to put people in the seats. 

In a last minute decision, I went to Huntsville, Alabama last night to see Ted Nugent. 

We have discussed Ted's rig for this tour. 

20220802_203853.jpg

There are Kustom heads on top of Fender 2 x 15" cabs loaded with JBL's.  You can see the silver dust covers on the cones through the beige grill cloth.  There are two new looking Fender Twin Reverb combos on top of Fender cabs that are likely 2 x 15".  Did Fender ever make 2 x 12" cabs that size?  One speaker appeared to have a silver dust cover.  Another one appeared black, but it was hard to see through the black grill cloth.  There was rarely a spotlight directly on those cabinets.  On the floor there were two Kustom combos, with only one being mic'ed. 

A mic was on the bottom speaker in each of the black grilled cabs under the Twins.  Both Twins had their power lights on.  The Kustom heads did not appear to be on.  I think the mic'ed Kustom combo was what Ted used for feedback. 

Greg Smith had a Hartke cabinet.  I could not see a head.  Jason Hartless had Pearl drums. 

Ted played three different Byrdlands.  There was a burst that he used for most of the show.  Later on he used a blonde.  For the encore he had his black one with the checked finish.  Usually he plays a Les Paul when he does Wang Dang Sweet Poontang, but he used a Byrdland last night.  He did pull out a double f-hole Les Paul later on.  He used his PRS for Fred Bear. 

20220802_211148.jpg

Toward the end of the solo section of Stranglehold there are some feedback swells.  Ted had the selector switch set for the neck pickup as the swell built up, then he switched to the bridge pickup for the chords that ended each swell.   It was a detail I never noticed before although I have seen him switch pickups a lot, just never mid-lick. 

Ted has more enthusiasm for playing than most 20 year olds.  EVERY lick he plays is exciting.  Maybe it has something to do with wearing comfortable shoes.  He was wearing some of those molded springy rubber shoes. 

20220802_213136.jpg

The show lasted an hour and a half, and it felt like five minutes to me.  It was a blast.  I will see this tour one more time later this month. 

Here is the setlist.

Awesome write-up as usual, Steve, thanks... Hopefully it doesn't get crapped on. And awesome set list! Where is the next show you are seeing him?

Looks like the pedalboard has: Boss Tuner, some kind of Boss Chorus, Crybaby wah and MXR flanger. Notice how they are battery powered? Maybe Ted's tech knows something the rest of the world doesn't?

Everybody noes that battery power sig-nif-icantly reduces the reception range of effects based 5G transceivers; and with the lack of connection to the outside world from the world wide electric grid, theres' no other way to get the information out. Bandwidth ya know. Smart move. Respects \m/

On 8/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, Steve Haynie said:

You guys tear apart the song, but you still respect Ted.  That was a long listen, but fun. 

Things snowballed lol. But yes, I definitely respect Ted's musicianship. Being from Detroit, it's kind of a requirement. The man can (still) play the hell out of a guitar.

I dig the  song Fred Bear (and the man too)..,  Being into trad bow hunting myself.  I guess I gotta listen to the podcast.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching that video, I realized it's a damn shame that certain species of songbirds congregate around Nuge's home--all attracted to that incessant high-pitched whistle that emanates from his mouth whenever he speaks--only to find themselves unwittingly in the bead of Nuge's customized 10mm Glock Model 20.  At least he extends the courtesy (post-mortem) of serving them over rice with a nice gravy.

And yes; this is a joke.  But then, we're talking about Nuge.  So it might actually be true. 

Archived