Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NEWPORT PRO- something screwy

Korina Korina

Question

Hey Yall,  I recently picked up a Newport Pro.  It is orange with Seth lover duncans and black pick-up rings..  One of the pick-up rings has a corner screw missing.  The screws are black philips head with a flat top. Does anyone know the type or size...or where to get a replacement that matches?  Also,  the strap pins were in the case, but when I went to reinstall...something seemed off.  It was like the screws were too long and skinny.  I stopped trying to screw'm in immediately.  Didn't wanna screw it up.  What size should they be?  The guitar is in good shape.  Just a bit unplayed and needs some love.  I wanna get it back to where it should be.  Any advice or knowledge is appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Hey KK:

Check out these screws for pickup mounting rings. 
https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/screws-and-springs/humbucker-mounting-ring-screws/

Buy enough so you can replace them all (so they match). You might want to extract another screw off of your Newport to verify/match the length. 

As far as strap buttons: Hamers of that era came stock with Straplock buttons. If you have another guitar with Straplock pull one off and compare it to the ones in your case. OR, just buy another Straplock set and slap those buttons on. 
https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Straplok-Design-Set-Nickel-2-2PSLS031N/dp/B08SJ98DX6/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=GFI1MBRO6VQ0&keywords=strap+locks+dunlop&qid=1658802531&sprefix=straplocks+du%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-4

Good luck!

I actually had stripped one of the Dunlop screws and didn't get it fully seated on a guitar.  

I emailed Dunlop what happened and they asked for my address and just sent me a couple, so I'm sure you could source from them.  Even if they didn't offer to send them gratis, I feel like they wouldn't charge much. 

Archived