Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why don't people just refrigerate booze?

Armitage

Question

I've listened to people argue about ice or not in their booze... they want it cold (cool?), but not watered down.

So why not put your rye, bourbon or rum in the fridge?

There has to be a reason as no one seems to do it.

13 answers to this question

^- this. 

I tried putting a bottle of Bourbon in the fridge, and it completely lost the flavor. (It did return by taking it back out and letting it warm up...)

I read somewhere that anything colder than 45 degrees is not good for whiskey. 

8 hours ago, veatch said:

^- this. 

I tried putting a bottle of Bourbon in the fridge, and it completely lost the flavor. (It did return by taking it back out and letting it warm up...)

I read somewhere that anything colder than 45 degrees is not good for whiskey. 

The movie "Neat, The Story of Bourbon" documents the history of Bourbon and keeping it at room temperature, with no water or ice for the best flavor.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7109844/

On 7/29/2022 at 12:38 PM, Armitage said:

I've listened to people argue about ice or not in their booze... they want it cold (cool?), but not watered down.

So why not put your rye, bourbon or rum in the fridge?

There has to be a reason as no one seems to do it.

If drinking a high end bourbon or mezcal (usually the case) neat then it's always room temperature. If I'm making cocktails though I have found that they are best when all the ingredients are pre chilled before mixing and that the quality of ice matters a lot. That cloudy crescent shaped stuff produced by home refrigerator ice makers is fucking garbage. I could probably go on for awhile about ice but will spare you all the extreme nerdiness.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:30 AM, geoff_hartwell said:

Stike, please don’t spare the nerdiness haha!

Aside from using warm water to make ice to counteract bubbles and cloudiness, what are the concerns?

Cloudy ice is mostly gas bubbles which means those cubes melt really fast diluting the drink as well as not keeping it cold.

I stopped using the ice maker in my fridge years ago after two incidents of the supply line leaking and ruining my floor. I just started buying bagged ice and while it's not the fancy stuff at cocktail bars it's definitely more clear than what is easily made at home. My last two refrigerators I ordered without ice makers, not all that easy to do actually.

Last year I bought a Euhomy countertop ice maker that produces 1" clear cubes and it rocks, no pun intended.

A couple months back we were visiting my father and made a couple gin and tonics. All he had was cloudy ice maker ice and those drinks were watered down and flat within minutes, yuck.

Making clear ice manually can be done but it's some work beyond using warm water.

https://cocktail-society.com/barkeeping/clear-ice-cubes/

Archived