Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Humbucker-size pickups for 12-string solid body?

stobro

Question

I've been playing my Hamer Special 12-string more lately. So naturally I've been tweaking it here and there. I even managed to set the intonation for all 12 strings! Now I'm wondering if some different pickups might be a worthwhile investment. It has GFS "Memphis" Retro-trons in it now.

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Memphis-Alnico-2-Rickenbacker®-tone-Vintage-Jangle-Pickup_c_159.html

What do you use in your 12-string electrics?

14 answers to this question

The GFS Memphis are great pickups for that guitar.

....but you're supposed to be selling it to ME!! (Seriously, I still want it...)

Unless Josh has something better (pretty sure he does), I'd stick with the GFS. They are surprisingly good.

FWIW: I had Dimarzio Minis in my Eclipse 12 string. Different guitar/different size pickup, but they were perfect for that guitar.

I'm a HUGE fan of PhatCats in a 12 string (HB) format.  Some zing, some sparkle...a little compressor action and you're all set!

Depends upon what you want….my Tele 12 has Tele pups….a winder like Gravelin or Rumpel can wind most any pickup in an HB style form factor.

I recommend something single coil to bring out the sparkle and 12 twang.

When I first got the guitar it had some relatively high output standard humbuckers in it that were probably not the stock pickups. It sounded congested to my ear. I wanted something more like what you would expect from a 12- sparkle, jangle, etc. The Retrotrons I put in sound pretty good. I'm wondering if something else might push it over the cliff for me. Plus, I think the GFS pickups look kinda cheap (maybe because they are).

I’d call or email a good winder and tell them you need a pickup for that 12 string jangle. Pete Biltoft quietly builds Rickenbacker toaster clones….and I bet he can put on in an HB format. I bet Josh can too. Both Josh and Rumpel wind alnico rod singles in an HB format too. I have one from Rumpel that just sings.

Here is another idea. Put a vintage wind set of Firebird pickups in there. You can get pickup surround rings to fit that drop right in to an HB format. P,entry of jangle and chime there as long as you stay with a nice vintage wind. All the usual suspects can wind a great bird. Rumpel made mine.

I have Phat Cats in one of my Artist guitars, and I find these pickups are less noisy than other P90s.  I am pretty sensitive to hum, having grown up with Lace Sensors, and the Phat Cats do not bother me at all.

The PhatCats in my Newport 12 are absolutely quiet - not at all like a standard P-90.  No hum and no harshness, and it sounds blissfully RIC-like with a bit of compressor.

I have a lower output TVJones Classic in my 12 string Tele (The Plaidocaster), and I may like that setup every bit as much as my Newport 12.

MyNewport12andbestfriend.jpg

EF17A55B-D341-447D-8D1A-E665C6661FD2.jpeg

Archived