Hamer Fan Club Message Center

These days, personal nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Was rummaging thru some family photos and stumbled on this long-forgotten image from '72 (Jeezus--half a century ago!). First job I had out of college was managing the TV, Stereo and Records departments of a department store (Gayfer's/Montgomery Fair, if anyone down South remembers that retailer) . My office was next door to the photography studio, and we collaborated on this gag photo.

But that Gretsch Corvette was the first decent American-made pawn shop prize I ever bought. Never did really use it once I started playing in club bands and joined the musician's union. Main guitar was a first-year ('70) Guild S-100 Polara, which was Guild's take on an SG. and the S-100 was more comfortable. at least for me). Took the Gretsch to gigs as a backup but the Guild never had a problem while I owned it. 

There's no real wistfulness because I didn't really use the Gretsch, and I don't wish I'd not gotten rid of the Gretsch so I'm not looking for one now. 

In high school garage bands I'd concentrated on keyboards, and will admit that I breathed a bit of a sigh when I found this photo and thought how this guitar is the one that (legitimately) started it all, even if it wasn't a player for me once I was out in the real world.

Gretsch '72.jpg

Reminds me of when I was a kid watching late Saturday night TV in the Tulsa area, back in the early '70's (dig that orange shag carpet!), well before SNL...there was a local TV show called 'Mazeppa Pompazoidi's Uncanny Film Festival and Camp Meeting' that would show old horror/mystery movies, and would take occasional breaks during the movie showing pre-taped skits.  Anybody recognize these two guys?  ;)  

Wow. Busey was as spazzy then as he is these days.

Crunchee, do you remember when channel 23 was still just an unaffiliated UHF channel? Before Fox took over? 
Do you remember Sherman Oaks and The Creature Feature,  by any chance? 

Tell me about it, I have SO much stuff, Guitar Player magazines, Vintage Guitar magazines, Rolling Stone, tons of other also rans. And books all kinds of music books some pretty valuable  A Galaxy Of Strats [An  original edition] Records ,also some very valuable. I look at this stuff and think geez, many of these guys aren't even alive anymore, and I think most of the things are so dated back to a much different time and place. 

4 hours ago, Hackubus said:

Wow. Busey was as spazzy then as he is these days.

Crunchee, do you remember when channel 23 was still just an unaffiliated UHF channel? Before Fox took over? 
Do you remember Sherman Oaks and The Creature Feature,  by any chance? 

I lived between Tulsa and Joplin back in the early '70's (yes, U.S. Route 66 ran through my area), so I'm not sure if my old-fashioned antenna reception could have snagged 23 at the time, if it could have, then I missed it, probably due to school.

do remember the 'Sherman Oaks' character from Mazeppa's UFFACM (played by a guy named Jim Millaway, IIRC), but hadn't heard about him hosting a local 'Creature Feature' late-night show, though.  It's funny, Willie's photo was what jogged my memory about the Mazeppa show, because of the similar 'look' between him and Sherman Oaks:

P.S., there's an interview with Millaway online about the show, too:

https://www.tulsapeople.com/the-voice/writers/beau-adams/sherman-oaks-in-the-flesh/article_3ed240d2-f446-5c18-a94e-9367c17a283d.html

This would have been 1981-84ish if memory serves.   That is the one and the same Sherman Oaks there on Mazeppa show.  I was too young to have caught any of that.  Was this on KTUL?  

Apologies to Willie for high-jacking your thread.  

11 minutes ago, Hackubus said:

This would have been 1981-84ish if memory serves.   That is the one and the same Sherman Oaks there on Mazeppa show.  I was too young to have caught any of that.  Was this on KTUL?  

Apologies to Willie for high-jacking your thread.  

My apologies to Willie as well! 

Mazeppa started out on KOTV Channel 6 (CBS affiliate) in Tulsa in the early '70's, then switched to KTUL Channel 8 (ABC affiliate) after a couple of years.  By the time SNL showed up Mazeppa was gone, and I think Gailard Sartain had gone on to Hee Haw, or showed up there soon afterward;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gailard_Sartain

^^^

Closest I got down here to the trend now being discussed was when Toni Tennille performed on her mom's local talk show, "The Guest Room", in the '50s...

Archived