Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA GC Used Rock N Roll Relics Thunders II

Why is the neck pickup so far away from the neck?  Looks like halfway between a neck and middle position. Something to do with the neck joint perhaps, or a conscious decision to make a tonal difference…?

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Why is the neck pickup so far away from the neck?  Looks like halfway between a neck and middle position. Something to do with the neck joint perhaps, or a conscious decision to make a tonal difference…?

I was wondering that, too. Might make it a bit snappier, though I never think of a P90 in the usual position as being too woofy...

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Gibby did this too.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 6.22.42 AM.png

57 minutes ago, santellavision said:

Gibby did this too.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 6.22.42 AM.png

I guess it makes more sense seeing the Gibson do the same thing. It just doesn’t look right to me, tho…

I saw Billy when he was with American Heartbreak open for the NY Dolls in the late 90s in SF. They absolutely blew me away and Billy's playing was a large part of it. Pretty sure he was playing a red double cut Gretsch that sounded phenomenal.

Since then, I've been fortunate to get to know him on a more personal level. He's playing with Buckcherry now.

I'm hoping to get a RnR Relics Lightning at some point.

15 hours ago, Travis said:

That does seem a little more exaggerated by a little bit.  From what I understand, earlier 50's DC juniors had the rhythm p90 right up to the fretboard but this was prone to heel cracks, at least over time.  They shifted it up not too long after, but it does not look as good to me for whatever reason.  The RnR Relics look especially funny, but likely a killer guitar.

Pictures below of a 59 vs 60s DC juniors.

VBT-Nov-19-LP-59-DoubleCutaway-Guitar-2@1400x1050.jpg

1200px-1960_Les_Paul_Special_Doublecut.jpg

I think these are cool, but is not that hard to roll your own for much less.  As far as I understand it the rock n roll relics are just precision guitar kits finished by another company.    

same funky neck spacing on mine which I would have ordered as just a single if knew at the time I ordered the spacing would be that drastic

3822BF09-9C2B-40D0-8FBA-DBFF0D890AA8.jpeg

I've read some chat about pickups having to be in certain places and if you move them, there are harmonics that get missed. I remember Joe Satriani talking about when he designed his 24 fret neck Ibanez guitar, he felt the tone wasn't right with the humbucker pushed toward the bridge due to the extra frets. So, he went with a Single-coil size 'bucker and smashed it right up against the fingerboard to get those back.

Sorry if I am wrong on this one. I thought rock n roll relics sourced their bodies and necks from precision and did their finish work themselves. I’ve seen this mentioned many places before including here.   Of course you know what they say about believing what you read in the internet.   

5 hours ago, santellavision said:

I've read some chat about pickups having to be in certain places and if you move them, there are harmonics that get missed. I remember Joe Satriani talking about when he designed his 24 fret neck Ibanez guitar, he felt the tone wasn't right with the humbucker pushed toward the bridge due to the extra frets. So, he went with a Single-coil size 'bucker and smashed it right up against the fingerboard to get those back.

This online article probably explains it better than I ever could:

https://www.electrikjam.com/22-frets-vs-24-frets-explained/

Funny thing is, is that Guild used a 24-fret fretboard on their S-series guitars back in the 70's, most notably on the S-300 and S-60.  I had both the S-300 and S-60 at one time years ago, and the extra frets didn't help with the sound IMO, because there's no pickup to 'pick up' frequencies at the harmonic 'sweet spot' that you get with the pickup being at the spot where the 24th fret would be:

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/S300.php

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/catalogues/1978_8.php

If I had my choice between a PRS Custom 22 and a PRS Custom 24, I would go for the Custom 22 every time.  Also, don't forget the old saying that there's no money past the 9th fret.  Or is it the 5th fret? :rolleyes:

My suspicion/two cents about the deeper neck joint on later DC Juniors (SGs too) Is like what WorstBandName said, that the neck joints had a bad habit of cracking or even failing, probably because there's not a whole lot of wood there.  Legend has it that Lonnie Mack once threw his original Flying V in the trash because the very similar shallow neck joint failed on that guitar, and supposedly either a fellow band member or crew member fished it out and fixed it for him. 

58 minutes ago, crunchee said:

If I had my choice between a PRS Custom 22 and a PRS Custom 24, I would go for the Custom 22 every time. 

This ^^^

image.gif

Archived