Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 81 Prototype, $60,000 Minimum Bid

https://gottahaverockandroll.com/George_Harrison__Got_My_Mind_Set_on_You__Signed___-LOT44763.aspx

Ok, it's got George Harrison history. Current Bid: $0  Estimate: $100,000 - $150,000

aug22-368combined_hp.pnggUuUUogNmy5xTMurCzrxRh-1200-80.jpg.webp

This is the actual red Hamer Prototype electric guitar that George Harrison used when recording his guitar solo that appeared on the extended mix of "Got My Mind Set on You" which was released in Europe on a 12" vinyl EP. Harrison beautifully signed the back of the guitar in black sharpie pen. This is the only guitar known to date which was both used on a recording and also signed by him. Harrison played the guitar during the recording session at the Village Recorder in West Los Angeles on a Sunday in the fall of 1987, Harrison was with Jeff Lynne and engineer Bill Botrell wanting to record an extended mix of "Got My Mind Set on You" (GMMSOY), and he needed a guitar but the studio had none available. He ended up borrowing this red Hamer Prototype guitar with serial number 1-4192 that belonged to the studio's staff technician, Jeffrey Gilbert, who had worked for many famous rock and roll recording sessions. After Harrison was finished recording the guitar solo he signed the back of the guitar for Gilbert before giving it back to him. Harrison's cover of GMMSOY, which was originally recorded in 1962 by James Roy, was the No. 1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts in January 1988, and was Harrison's last solo U.S. No. 1 hit.

Comes with impeccable provenance: a letter from Beatles handwriting expert Frank Caiazzo attesting to the authenticity of the signature and the guitar, a letter of authenticity from Jeffrey Gilbert (the tech who lent Harrison the guitar and for whom Harrison signed it for), and a letter from engineer Bill Bottrell regarding the recording session and the story of the guitar. Bottrell also adds in his letter that it was at this session that the idea for forming the band that would eventually be the Travelling Wilburys took place, with Harrison saying "Yeah, I guess we're have a group or something", and handing Botrell a Traveling Wilburys guitar pick. Also comes with a Gotta Have Rock & Roll Certificate of Authenticity.

Buy, buy, buy!!!!

39 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Perhaps the copy would be more honest if it just said, "played one time by George Harrison." 

LOL - RELUCTANTLY played one time...

"...he needed a guitar but the studio had none available. He ended up borrowing this red Hamer Prototype guitar..."

3 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

This rare photo even shows their shared reaction when he was handed the guitar.

I think the 'extended version' solo starts about 3:42. You probably will admit that this sort of inspiration can't be bought at any price, and $60-150,000 would be a steal to get close to it.

6 minutes ago, geoff_hartwell said:

I think it’s pretty amazing that they had Traveling Wilburys guitar picks already made to hand out at the session where the idea formed. Nicely done.

If only they had stopped there with the dispersal of the guitar picks and not gone on to create that awful album. 

On 8/6/2022 at 12:57 PM, Tortious said:

I think the 'extended version' solo starts about 3:42. You probably will admit that this sort of inspiration can't be bought at any price, and $60-150,000 would be a steal to get close to it.

The price might be worth it if the buyer could be assured that George used the guitar on the live version where throughout the rendition he substituted "balls" for "mind."

9 hours ago, supergenius365 said:

Didn't George actually own a Hamer?  I seem to remember a picture of maybe Jol holding the guitar before it was delivered.  That would be the one I'd want to own.

John did, but not for long. The RickNHamer.

spacer.png

Ringo had some that were auctioned a few years ago.  No clue about George.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, Ed Rechts said:

For the life of me, I will never understand why there are so many skeptics on this message board.

The incident was documented by Eric Clapton's publicity agent when they dropped by the studio to return some of Patty Boyd's belongings and wish George a Happy Maundy Thursday. This rare photo even shows their shared reaction when he was handed the guitar.

C'mon, you guys!

georgeH.png.f45b7428b7d80e30222d87f719a79598.png

Ha!! That pic of Clapton is the one of him holding an Epiphone ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Utterly shocking. No sale, even with a lowered opening bid.

This lot is closed for bidding. Bidding ended on 8/21/2022

Minimum Bid: $50,000
Final Bid: $0
Estimate: $100,000 - $150,000
Number of Bids: 0

Archived