Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Guy Here - And A Beat Up Old Chapparal "Restoration".

Got her poly/stained. I like the color even more than I thought I would. Couldn't seem to get a decent angle to where it didn't look like there was a mar in the finish. It's all just the lighting. Except for that one weird area under the end of the fretboard. I have absolutely no idea why it wouldn't take the stain. I see just a bit more black paint in her future... She'll also need maybe 3 coats of the clear satin poly that I bought for her.

a3z65uX.jpg

Z9eaMts.jpg

rdRUgYo.jpg

43M2AR2.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Carson Guitars said:

Not sure, but I don't think so.

Yes that part IS the maple neck and will not take the stain because it's either harder wood, didn't prep it correctly or glue keeping it from accepting the stain 

2 minutes ago, Carson Guitars said:

Now I gotta figure out the best way to bring some life back into the headstock. Any suggestions?

PL3S0XC.jpg

The frets and fretboard are definitely gonna need some work!

5vbo6VP.jpg

I would leave the headstock alone so it matches the rest of the guitar's patina &  After leveling the frets, I would use one of these

FretGuru Guitar Fret Crowning File - Dual Sided Dagger 2.0 Professional Luthier Tool for Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitars - MD, LG, XL Frets https://a.co/d/7SZvWi2

1 minute ago, Dave Scepter said:

I would leave the headstock alone so it matches the rest of the guitar's patina &  After leveling the frets, I would use one of these

FretGuru Guitar Fret Crowning File - Dual Sided Dagger 2.0 Professional Luthier Tool for Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitars - MD, LG, XL Frets https://a.co/d/7SZvWi2

I was really just referring to the black painted portion of the headstock.  The rest (patina) is fine as is.  I already have everything I need for the frets and fretboard.

21 hours ago, tweed said:

As far as that lighter spot under the fretboard, is it part of the neck?  Is it maybe because it's maple and won't darken up like the rest of the body? 

Yes - that’s EXACTLY what that is.

50 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

Do not TOUCH the face of the Headstock! It's Rock-n-Roll brother, let her live in glory as she is!

I agree - all I did was touch up the few spots where the black paint was missing.

51 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

NOW, about that neck. Have you put it under load yet? Fixed the cracks?

Not yet.  Maybe I'll do that today.  Still waiting to hear back from EMG for a proper wiring diagram. She came with some pretty decent pickups - the EMG SA/SA/89 setup, but not the solderless wiring system version.

So I decided to throw a set of strings on her to test the hairline cracks around the Floyd Rose nut screws on the back of the neck to make sure they weren't gonna crack and lose the headstock.

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME WHAT A MAJOR PITA IT IS FOR THE INITIAL SETUP OF A NEW FLOYD ROSE SYSTEM?!?!?

Tune the strings, adjust the claw springs, retune the strings, readjust the claw springs. Crap, too tight. Loosen the strings, tighten the claw springs. Loosen the strings some more, tighten the claw springs some more. Almost level with the body now. Retune the strings, readjust the claw springs. Retune the strings AGAIN. Readjust the claw springs AGAIN. Retune the strings. Ahh, there we go!

Okay. I got that out of my system. Phew! At any rate, there is no indication that the hairline cracks are gonna give away. There's no movement in them whatsoever. Also, the neck, for some weird reason, needs no adjustment whatsoever! YEAH!!!

Oh, did I mention that the Floyd Rose stud anchor holes had to be redrilled because they were no longer deep enough due to the removal of the paint, base coat, and additional sanding? ARGHHH!!!

Looking good Billy Ray!

What about the big crack in the center of the neck?

I would keep your FR use to a minimum, quick "stress - no stress and STRESS back again" on a tweaked neck may shorten its lifespan. Just my opinion...

And yes, Floyd's are a major PIA to setup; and I hate to break it to you, you're likely not done. 😬😉

Archived