Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Guy Here - And A Beat Up Old Chapparal "Restoration".

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Carson Guitars said:

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME WHAT A MAJOR PITA IT IS FOR THE INITIAL SETUP OF A NEW FLOYD ROSE SYSTEM?!?!?

Tune the strings, adjust the claw springs, retune the strings, readjust the claw springs. Crap, too tight. Loosen the strings, tighten the claw springs. Loosen the strings some more, tighten the claw springs some more. Almost level with the body now. Retune the strings, readjust the claw springs. Retune the strings AGAIN. Readjust the claw springs AGAIN. Retune the strings. Ahh, there we go!

There's a rather well-known and time tested hack for setting up a Floyd that doesn't involve anything fancier than using a shim to place between the sustain block and the back wall of the rout, tuning to pitch (strings need to be stretched), and then adjusting the claw until the shim begins to loosen.  Most techs use a Floyd "key" to help set individual saddle intonation on OFR units, but I've not found those to fit well (or at all) on the licensed Schaller versions. 

5 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

There's a rather well-known and time tested hack for setting up a Floyd that doesn't involve anything fancier than using a shim to place between the sustain block and the back wall of the rout, tuning to pitch (strings need to be stretched), and then adjusting the claw until the shim begins to loosen.  Most techs use a Floyd "key" to help set individual saddle intonation on OFR units, but I've not found those to fit well (or at all) on the licensed Schaller versions. 

This one has worked well for me on OFR, the new Schaller, and the old Hamer- branded Schallers.

20220816_172214.jpg

Good tip on the shim. That does save a lot of time. 

Edit to add: the second adjustment on the bottom adjusts the angle of the "claw".  Which is what makes it work on the new Schallers or Ibbies, etc. 

I'll have to retry it on a Hamer trem. Hope I'm not "miss- remembering" it working well. 

So, I have to admit, there were a couple things I didn't understand about the diagram Stratamania was kind enough to draw up for me. But I think I have it figured out now. I'm pretty new to all this...

At any rate, I've prepped the pickup wires for installation. The tiny wires in the shielding of the 89 humbucker had me perplexed as to how to remove the insulation without damaging the very fine wires. After a quick Google search, I found out all I had to do was hit them quickly (like less than half a second) with a hot soldering iron chisel tip.

I have no idea why I chose blue rather than black wire to extend the shield ground wire, but hey, like I said, I'm new to this stuff and wasn't thinking I guess.

FV31JYi.jpg

3 hours ago, Carson Guitars said:

I have no idea why I chose blue rather than black wire to extend the shield ground wire, but hey, like I said, I'm new to this stuff and wasn't thinking I guess.

FV31JYi.jpg

If you have any green electrical tape, wrap a couple turns on each end to remind you it's a ground wire. OR, whatever color the original wire was under that braid.

I think she came out pretty good - and she sounds awesome! There's a small problem with the input jack. I have to hold the guitar cord up at an angle for any sound to come out. That should be easily fixable though. I'll do that later - it's almost 6:00am and I've been up all night working on this.

IplRp4a.jpg

Great work! I'd have loved that to have come to my workshop!¬ I did a client Chap a couple of years ago: 

On 8/23/2022 at 4:35 AM, Victor (Fret Friend) said:

Great work! I'd have loved that to have come to my workshop!¬ I did a client Chap a couple of years ago: 

Wow, I love the binding on that Chap!!

Archived