Hamer Fan Club Message Center

TDC - Olivia Newton-John

This really sucks.  I've listened to this woman's music for about as long as I can remember - since she was a "country" artist.  Lucky enough to see her a couple years ago - something I didn't think would happen.  It was every bit as good as I'd hoped it would be.

RIP, ma'am.

Olivia Newton-John, Pop Singer and ‘Grease’ Star, Dies at 73

She began her career as an innocent purveyor of middle-of-the-road pop but later adopted a bad-girl persona.

Olivia Newton-John starring as Sandy in the 1978 hit movie “Grease.” She was a four-time Grammy winner, beguiling listeners with a high, supple, vibrato-warmed voice.

CBS via Getty Images

Olivia Newton-John, who sang some of the biggest hits of the 1970s and ’80s while recasting her image as the virginal girl next door into a spandex-clad vixen — a transformation reflected in miniature by her starring role in “Grease,” one of the most popular movie musicals of its era — died on Monday at her ranch in Southern California. She was 73. 

The death was announced by her husband, John Easterling.

Though never a critical favorite, Ms. Newton-John amassed No. 1 hits, chart-topping albums and four records that sold more than two million copies each. More than anything else, she was likable.

In the earlier phase of her career, this English-Australian singer beguiled listeners with a high, supple, vibrato-warmed voice that paired amiably with the kind of swooning middle-of-the-road pop that, in the mid-1970s, often passed for country music.

Her performance on the charts made that blurring clear. She scored seven Top 10 hits on Billboard’s Country chart, two of which became back-to-back overall No. 1 hits in 1974 and ’75. First came “I Honestly Love You,” an unashamedly earnest declaration co-written by Peter Allen and Jeff Barry, followed by “Have You Never Been Mellow,” a feather of a song written by the producer of many of her biggest albums, John Farrar.

“I Honestly Love You” also won two of the singer’s four Grammys, for record of the year and best female pop vocal performance.

The song Magic just does it for me. I saw her do it on some show….Midnight Special or something and it was crazy…..and this was after The Grease goodness….

She was the soundtrack of my early childhood as my mom loved her, so I had to listen to all of it too.  To this day I still love all her early stuff and her voice was so crystalline and beautiful it still hypnotizes me.  Not to mention she was stunningly gorgeous!  Grease is still one of my all-time favorite movies and even in her later years her voice held up incredibly well, as did her looks.  She truly is an icon who always seemed humble and approachable...  RIP Olivia, we'll miss you!

I know that most of the guys in my neighborhood had the iconic Farrah poster hidden on the backside of their doors, but my best friend in 4th grade had the Olivia Newton-John poster.  I don’t think he could have named more than a song or two by her at the time, but even back then, we agreed she was hotter!

image.jpeg

I also really dug Juliana Hatfield’s album of ONJ covers… 

I remember the crossover country days as a preteen -

“Let Me Be There” 

“If You Love Me Let Me Know”

”Have You Ever Been Melllow” 

“Please Mr. Please”

Those were all playing on the radio country or am pop stations at the time.

Then in high school “Grease” came out. Boom!!!  Followed by her album “Totally Hot”

The late 70’s and early 80’s it was all ONJ , it was a full on ONJ love fest - serious exposure

For over a decade local virtuoso Andy Timmons was her musical director for her North American Tours.  

He was “instrumental” in updating the song “Physical” to a Bossa Nova composition to reduce the “sex as a weapon” and campy image previously associated with the song.  The Bossa Nova version showcases Ms.ONJ’s vocals and I had the privilege of seeing it performed live.  

Everything I’ve ever heard about her is pure class.  

From a 10 year olds crush, to many “Jimmy Carter moments” at 17 to a 60 year olds appreciation and admiration of a grand dame.  

To her family, friends, and millions of fans my thoughts, prayers, condolences goes out to each and everyone of you for your loss.  
May she Rest In Peace and I’m sure if there is a Rock and Roll Heaven she’s next on the bill.  All I can hope for is when it’s my turn, I’ll have good seats. 
Respectfully, 

Hamerica

9 minutes ago, MCChris said:

I was yesterday years old when I learned that @kizanski is a Grease fan.

It has been a week of interesting revelations; Grease, long form British mysteries... 
Wait until we get to "The Wizard of Oz" and "Jesus Christ Superstar."

Just now, kizanski said:

It has been a week of interesting revelations; Grease, long form British mysteries... 
Wait until we get to "The Wizard of Oz" and "Jesus Christ Superstar."

If the list includes superhero movies and "This Is Us," feel free to stop before you get there. I'd prefer to not have to end our friendship.

Just now, MCChris said:

If the list includes superhero movies and "This Is Us," feel free to stop before you get there. I'd prefer to not have to end our friendship.

This hurts me.

For even the possibility that I could stomach dreck like "This Is Us" to exist in your brain is troubling, to say the least.

KIZ.

He Lives.

He Laughs.

He Loves.

He knows it’s “Wine O’Clock” somewhere.

Olivia Newton John had such a beautiful effortless voice even when she was belting it out.  Among all the others already mentioned, I loved her background vocals on the John Denver song "Fly Away".  

1 hour ago, MCChris said:

Maybe "This Is Us" is the story of former superheroes living regular lives after losing their powers. 🤣  For clarity, I've never watched it, although I'd place it a millimeter above Hallmark Channel movies. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was all of 14 when Grease came out and man, was I smitten with Olivia! Yes, she was on my wall with Farah!

We just watched it again Friday night and wow, she really was angelic! Great singer, super talent! RIP

• 3 months later...

Here you go chaps, nervous as ever about putting my playing out there - I got all energised last week and had a bash at this super solo one evening.

You’ll spot the obvious flat bend and clumsy bits, but hey, it’s real life :)

That’s the Bob Davis Vintage S Custom shoved through my Fractal FM3. I don’t reckon I’ve ever had any better tones than with this kit :)what do you think?

Archived