Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ibanez Tube Screamer - TS9 Vs TS808

So, I'm interested in a new overdrive pedal and have decided on a Tube Screamer.  Problem is, couldn't decide on the TS9 or the TS808.  So, after a search, I found what I feel is the best comparison of the two and thought I'd share it here.  This may have been posted here somewhere else, but I didn't see it and thought it could help others decide as well.

EDIT: Decided on the TS808.

Not really a "Distortion" pedal but more of a overdrive... and really depends on where you place it "in effects loop or front" and how you're going to use it... I use mine as a treble boost and to push my "already a high gain amp" to 11

25 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Not really a "Distortion" pedal but more of a overdrive... and really depends on where you place it "in effects loop or front" and how you're going to use it... I use mine as a treble boost and to push my "already a high gain amp" to 11

Yeah, I get confused over the distortion, overdrive, and fuzz terminology.  I already have a classic Big Muff.

I edited the post to say overdrive instead of distortion.

Just found this video from Marty and will watch it right now.

11 minutes ago, Carson Guitars said:

Yeah, I get confused over the distortion, overdrive, and fuzz terminology.  I already have a classic Big Muff.

I edited the post to say overdrive instead of distortion.

Just found this video from Marty and will watch it right now.

Hey, also look into the "Boss" line of overdrive pedals... OD-1, SD-1, BD-2 etc... depending on how much overdrive and tone flavor...

I'm a huge Boss fan... good luck in your quest 🤘

4 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Hey, also look into the "Boss" line of overdrive pedals...

I have a 100w Katana MkII that fills most of the Boss checkboxes.  I want the Tube Screamer to use with a different amp.  Planning on buying a Friedman Runt 20 head with some type of Celestion 2x12 cab in the near future.

7 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Hey, also look into the "Boss" line of overdrive pedals... OD-1, SD-1, BD-2 etc... depending on how much overdrive and tone flavor...

I bought this recently. Early '80's OD-1. It sounds very good with some amps. I am a big fan of the OCD (v.4) though, that I like more. It can do what the OD-1 does pretty well. I am no Tube Screamer fan, I like the tone that comes from these better.

I'll say one thing - THAT is the way to make a pedal comparison video.  I hate the ones that are "I'm playing a guitar you could never afford through an amp that costs as much as your car, and I have the Discombobulator X9 compressor, the Frankenpedal 100Q delay, and the Bonecrush Fartknocker distortion in my chain, but other than that it's a totally dry signal."

55 minutes ago, tommy p said:

I'll say one thing - THAT is the way to make a pedal comparison video.  I hate the ones that are "I'm playing a guitar you could never afford through an amp that costs as much as your car, and I have the Discombobulator X9 compressor, the Frankenpedal 100Q delay, and the Bonecrush Fartknocker distortion in my chain, but other than that it's a totally dry signal."

And "well, gotta have some reverb, right?"

What about the Maxon OD808???  ;)  I have a couple of TS9s, and the OD808, including a TS9 "Vaughn's mods 808 dtn", it actually sounds a little bit smoother/creamier. There's not much I can find on Vaughn's Mods, out of Ligonier PA, I imagine some of you might be familiar.

Maybe ten years ago I bought used pedals on eBay to just try them out.  What I liked best was not always what I expected.  Silicon transistors sounded better to me than germanium transistors, but in my mind I just had to have a germanium transistor fuzz pedal.  My ears taught me what I needed to know.  

So, buy both Tube Screamer pedals and hear which one works best with your rig and your personal touch when you play.  It may be more costly to buy two pedals, but you learn what works best for you first hand.

Archived