Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bass Player Magazine ends hard copy issues, goes to online only

I predict Vintage Guitar Magazine will be just about the last to eliminate print copies, if it ever does take such action. Median age demographic is a good bit higher than other guitar mags, and the old guitar phenomenon is still Boomer-driven. 

And personally, I still like hunkering down in the recliner with the new issue each month

Has Modern Drummer done the same?  Or close to it?  I haven't seen a new copy in stores since before the pandemic - the Neil Peart tribute issue was due out.  And they seriously botched that.  Claimed they sold out of it and were going to do a reprint, and crickets as far as I can tell.

I've caved and subscribed to Sound On Sound digitally, but I like having my print copies (my wife would love all digital so she doesn't have to see my stacks!).

If you haven't looked at the music magazine section in a store lately, it's pretty sad.  I go to Barnes & Noble about weekly, and the music magazine section has become dominated by special feature issues.  Some of the older mags have gone out of business, but some of the others are positively hard to find.

Iron Maiden has a really nice fan club magazine.  They are no longer going to mail copies.  Everyone will have a digital subscription.  However, for those who love print copies there will be some available for purchase.  It is sort of hybrid.  You now have digital, but you can pay for the luxury of a printed copy. 

18 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I predict Vintage Guitar Magazine will be just about the last to eliminate print copies, if it ever does take such action. Median age demographic is a good bit higher than other guitar mags, and the old guitar phenomenon is still Boomer-driven. 

And personally, I still like hunkering down in the recliner with the new issue each month

I let my VG subscription run out almost 2 years ago & I really haven't missed it. Full of ads, plus guitars & amps that I'll never be able to afford. 

Modern drummer did a really cool thing a while back and released a huge digital archive of every issue, on CD Rom I think haha

I *wish* GP, GW and any others would do that. I’d gladly pay a hundred bucks  for a searchable database of articles and lessons, and give up a huge amount of shelf space.

15 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Modern drummer did a really cool thing a while back and released a huge digital archive of every issue, on CD Rom I think haha

I *wish* GP, GW and any others would do that. I’d gladly pay a hundred bucks  for a searchable database of articles and lessons, and give up a huge amount of shelf space.

Mad Magazine did that years ago.  I found a copy in the remainders section at a Barnes & Noble in NYC, but the packaging was kind of big and I didn't have the desire to carry it around the city.  Still regret that.

Playboy did something similar w/all their interviews something like 25 years ago.  I still have that CD (!), but I don't know if any of the data is accessible on a modern computer.  Need to check that sometime.

Live Sound International sent their last physical issue in March.  I did like having them for reference, though it is fairly easy to locate info if needed these days.  

But, the digital issue doesn't give me pause to look and read an article just because it came in the mail and I gain some knowledge. 

Archived