Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 1996 Korina Standard 5 string bass questions

Hello:

Does anyone have any info on a 1996 Hamer Standard Korina, appears to be maple neck, Ebony fret board, retro headstock, 2TEK bridge?

It appears to be a custom order one off with no fret markers.

Info like you've seen them before. Or you've seen it used on stage. Anything. Dime a dozen or rare?

Any info would be appreciated.

Here are some pics.

Thanks

Ham 

20220821_010854.jpg

20220821_010837.jpg

20220821_010819.jpg

20220821_010802.jpg

20220821_010746.jpg

20220821_010733.jpg

• Ham Rex changed the title to PSA 1996 Hamer Standard 5 string korina body questions

Just going from my (fading) memory here….

Rare, available as custom order/not catalog model.  There has to be a few but not many.  The first piece of Korina I ever saw in the Hamer shop was built into a Standard Bass.  That had to be early 1995 right before the Korina Standards. Not saying there werent Korina Hamers prior just saying this was first spotted during my tenure.

And absolutely no offense intended I hope it isn’t received that way but……that’s a “dirtier” piece of Korina than Hamer liked sending.   Those are kinda rare.  I have a one piece Korina standard built from slightly “dirty” Korina and Steve Ward damn near rejected it in the woodshop!  I know we had requests for guitars built from streaked Korina and that was a flat out “no” from Jol.

Edited to add that I was building bodies in 1996 and I didn’t make that one on the Komo so that means it was built by Mike Cauwette (slaughtered the spelling sorry Mike) as a custom order.

one more edit to say the piece I remember could very well be the bass pictured above and as Chris said it may be the only one.

It's a question of taste which Jol often did not entertain, or often possess.  

I like the "dirty" pieces and the "clean" ones equally in the right situation.  

Didn't he call the dirty korina "wood pallet" guitars?  

2 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

I purposely picked "dirty" Korina for my amp cab. Searched for it fir a while.

IMG_0138.JPG

3 hours ago, topekatj said:

I love the grain on the bass. Looks to be a 1 piece body. I’ve often wondered if the grain on my junior would be considered dirty by Hamer standards. 

7469481F-CB6A-4C3F-88FD-88C9D934DC49.png

Super nice!!!

2 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

IMG_0138.JPG

Wow what an amp cabinet!

That looks awesome!

7 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

Just going from my (fading) memory here….

Rare, available as custom order/not catalog model.  There has to be a few but not many.  The first piece of Korina I ever saw in the Hamer shop was built into a Standard Bass.  That had to be early 1995 right before the Korina Standards. Not saying there werent Korina Hamers prior just saying this was first spotted during my tenure.

And absolutely no offense intended I hope it isn’t received that way but……that’s a “dirtier” piece of Korina than Hamer liked sending.   Those are kinda rare.  I have a one piece Korina standard built from slightly “dirty” Korina and Steve Ward damn near rejected it in the woodshop!  I know we had requests for guitars built from streaked Korina and that was a flat out “no” from Jol.

Edited to add that I was building bodies in 1996 and I didn’t make that one on the Komo so that means it was built by Mike Cauwette (slaughtered the spelling sorry Mike) as a custom order.

Wow that is some great info! I truly appreciate it!

That’s a one-off.  I played one just like it, if not that same bass, and a Mahogany Standard 12 at a shop near Columbia, SC in the mid-1990s. 

I’m pretty confident it’s the only one built, but not sure if Jon Maye has insight on that.

If this is a variation of what they meant by "dirty korina" (black limba), I will take it whenever I can get it.

shishkov26_44225509000_o26.jpg

• Ham Rex changed the title to PSA 1996 Korina 5 string standand bass questions
On 8/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, django49 said:

If this is a variation of what they meant by "dirty korina" (black limba), I will take it whenever I can get it.

shishkov26_44225509000_o26.jpg

That is great looking!

• Ham Rex changed the title to PSA 1996 Korina Standard 5 string bass questions
On 8/21/2022 at 7:11 PM, cmatthes said:

That’s a one-off.  I played one just like it, if. It THAT same bass, and a Mahogany Standard 12 at a shop near Columbia, SC in the mid-1990s. 

I’m pretty confident it’s the only one built, but not sure if Jon Maye has insight on that.

Chris:

Thank you. The bass arrived today and is just magnificent. 

If you ever have spare time (as if) to reach out to Jon Maye (perhaps you ment Jon may) on my behalf for any info he may remember I'd appreciate it.

Who ordered it? Is there more than one... truly anything.

Thanks for your time,

Ham Rex

On 8/21/2022 at 12:19 PM, topekatj said:

I love the grain on the bass. Looks to be a 1 piece body. I’ve often wondered if the grain on my junior would be considered dirty by Hamer standards. 

7469481F-CB6A-4C3F-88FD-88C9D934DC49.png

If that’s dirty then I like it dirty…. Just so you know…. 😉

On 8/21/2022 at 2:04 PM, BoogieMKIIA said:

IMG_0138.JPG

That looks absolutely amazing… out of curiosity, how does it sound/can you tell a difference between the Korina and cabs of other common woods like pine or Baltic birch?

i might be able to convince my wife to let me keep an amp in the living room if it looked like high end furniture… 😉

7 hours ago, Travis said:

That looks absolutely amazing… out of curiosity, how does it sound/can you tell a difference between the Korina and cabs of other common woods like pine or Baltic birch?

i might be able to convince my wife to let me keep an amp in the living room if it looked like high end furniture… 😉

To paraphrase a Dale Carnegie quote “if you think it sounds better, it will sound better”. 

3 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

To paraphrase a Dale Carnegie quote “if you think it sounds better, it will sound better”. 

So, tone is NOT all in the fingers?

On 8/21/2022 at 1:17 AM, Ham Rex said:

Hello:

Does anyone have any info on a 1996 Hamer Standard Korina, appears to be maple neck, Ebony fret board, retro headstock, 2TEK bridge?

Info like you've seen them before. Or you've seen it used on stage. Anything. Dime a dozen or rare?

Here are some pics.

Thanks

Ham 

20220821_010854.jpg

20220821_010837.jpg

20220821_010819.jpg

20220821_010802.jpg

20220821_010746.jpg

20220821_010733.jpg

I think that fingers matter, but a bass like this one could make me sound good. Mind power or no.

5 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

I think that fingers matter, but a bass like this one could make me sound good. Mind power or no.

It could make anyone sound good. It has mad MOJO!!!

The Korina and 2TEK sing!

12 hours ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

You're right.

Maybe believing it sounds better makes you play better!?!

There are people who make their living off telling you to believe in your self.

Tony Robbins is ultra rich from his power of you seminars!

On 8/20/2022 at 10:17 PM, Ham Rex said:

Hello:

Here are some pics.

Thanks

Ham 

20220821_010854.jpg

20220821_010837.jpg

20220821_010819.jpg

20220821_010802.jpg

20220821_010746.jpg

20220821_010733.jpg

How did I miss this before?!  I'm in love!

On 8/25/2022 at 10:59 PM, Ham Rex said:

Chris:

Thank you. The bass arrived today and is just magnificent. 

If you ever have spare time (as if) to reach out to Jon Maye (perhaps you ment Jon may) on my behalf for any info he may remember I'd appreciate it.

Who ordered it? Is there more than one... truly anything.

Thanks for your time,

Ham Rex

Nope.  Jon Maye.

No photo description available.

Archived