Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 1996 Korina Standard 5 string bass questions

6 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Nope.  Jon Maye.

No photo description available.

The middle bass looks familiar. 

https://reverb.com/item/59376270-hamer-usa-standard-korina-5-string-bass-natural

I did purchase the bass. 

Yes, it was expensive but Hamers and my collection are one of the greatest joys I get from life. My wife first then my Hamers. I venture to guess I paid around what it cost when it was ordered. Maybe a little more.

20220828_081215.jpg

20220828_081300.jpg

I vaguely recall that it was tagged at $1,999 at the shop in SC back in the mid-90s.  That was pretty crazy dough for a new Hamer back then, for sure!

21 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I vaguely recall that it was tagged at $1,999 at the shop in SC back in the mid-90s.  That was pretty crazy dough for a new Hamer back then, for sure!

I think my Cruise V 2tek was tagged at $1699 when new in mid/late 90s.  

2 hours ago, Jimbilly said:

Yikes!  That was more than LIST price back then!  Those always streeted for $8-900 near me, maybe $1,099 for a 5 string 2TEK at the rip-off place! 😉

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Yikes!  That was more than LIST price back then!  Those always streeted for $8-900 near me, maybe $1,099 for a 5 string 2TEK at the rip-off place! 😉

This was from the coolest little shop, not a rip off place at all, super cool owner too, he sold Hamer for years (that shop was another victim of GC). 

As the memory fog clears a little, iirc 'list' was $1699, 'tag' was about $1200. The owner would get tired of dated inventory and often dump stuff for stupid cheap, and I could not resist (as was the case for quite a few buys).  I think I've had that bass over 20 years now, if I wasn't recovering from some fairly significant owies, I'd pull down the case and see if I could find the old receipt. I think I paid $800 ish for a Cruise 4 string 2 tek new there.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:34 PM, cmatthes said:

Looks like I was wrong and I got screwed but I still love the bass. 

I really got screwed on my custom I ordered in 1988 Hamer Cali Elite. $1550. Plus tax Yikes!!!

I see it's true all Hamers really are worth $350!!!

Why do they ask $6,000 and more for Korina Standards on Reverb.

Really odd.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:57 PM, Jimbilly said:

It seems prices vary largely in the US and peoples memories. I think you got a good deal as the HSC was $150 on top of the Bass.

96 cruise.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 12:06 AM, HamerCustomEr said:

How did I miss this before?!  I'm in love!

Don't worry you didn't miss anything!

It was way over priced and so crappy Hamer only made one.

If it would have been a good bass these basses would be everywhere.

On 8/29/2022 at 3:34 PM, cmatthes said:

Turns out I did okay... wow I was really sweating it!

But like I said it really is only worth $350.

20220901_224057.jpg

21 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

It seems prices vary largely in the US and peoples memories. I think you got a good deal as the HSC was $150 on top of the Bass.

96 cruise.jpg

wow, my 5 is the Cruise 5 Custom! I never knew about the Custom part.  - and who knew EMGs were that much of an upgrade?!

On 8/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, Ham Rex said:

The middle bass looks familiar. 

https://reverb.com/item/59376270-hamer-usa-standard-korina-5-string-bass-natural

I did purchase the bass. 

Yes, it was expensive but Hamers and my collection are one of the greatest joys I get from life. My wife first then my Hamers. I venture to guess I paid around what it cost when it was ordered. Maybe a little more.

20220828_081215.jpg

20220828_081300.jpg

It appears my "venture to guess" was totally wrong with Chris's knowledge of the bass.

I just thought with it being a one of a kind, Korina body with a special version of the 2TEK, different then one in 5 string Cruisebass as it is larger, that I got a good deal. 

I don't get many "Good Deals" but every once and a while I do. Never a "Great Deal"

Anyway I enjoy the bass and it was worth it to me. 

Thanks Chris for all the inside knowledge about the bass.

I think you did fine, that is a very cool and unique great quality bass, and if you were looking for that bass, it would be near impossible to find.

I don't know if there were any 2teks other than 'standard' early and later versions? I used to know Lynn Ellsworth a little bit (boogie bodies, and he had a lot to do with the 2tek), I seem to recall there were just two production versions?, unless it was a prototype 2tek it shouldn't be very unique. 

14 minutes ago, Jimbilly said:

I think you did fine, that is a very cool and unique great quality bass, and if you were looking for that bass, it would be near impossible to find.

I don't know if there were any 2teks other than 'standard' early and later versions? I used to know Lynn Ellsworth a little bit (boogie bodies, and he had a lot to do with the 2tek), I seem to recall there were just two production versions?, unless it was a prototype 2tek it shouldn't be very unique. 

Here are the two 5 String 2TEKs.

Maybe it's just the plate.

I'll check stamping when I get home.

20220909_130031.jpg

20220909_130008.jpg

4 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

Here are the two 5 String 2TEKs.

Maybe it's just the plate.

I'll check stamping when I get home.

20220909_130031.jpg

20220909_130008.jpg

The difference is that the version with two rows of mounting screws for the "fingers" was the original one that Mike Hansen developed and sold.  People complained about the significant weight those added, so in 1995 and into 1996, 2TEK revisited the design and came out with the lighter, smaller profile version that is still available today (although only whatever stock exists, as they have ceased production).  Hamer also made the switch around that time, so you will never see a pre-1996 Hamer with the single row bridge, you will likely not see anything later than early 1996 WITH the double row, larger bridge.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:16 PM, Ham Rex said:

96 cruise.jpg

Those are LIST, or "Retail" prices.  Actual street price (cost to acquire from your dealer), was usually 30-40% less back then, depending upon the dealer and the year.

15 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Those are LIST, or "Retail" prices.  Actual street price (cost to acquire from your dealer), was usually 30-40% less back then, depending upon the dealer and the year.

So the MSRP were super high so when you paid the real price plus profit for the guitar store you felt like you got a great deal instead of the real deal.

A $1999 bass for $850 bass with a case wow I made out... not.

What a scam! No wonder they're really only worth $350.

Thanks for all the insight!

So my entire collection is based on a lie and I've over paid for everything. 

Oh what a great feeling.

No wonder you were getting 4 digit standards for $400. Too bad you won't move that bass to me for 6 times it's real value as you once mentioned.

I won't ask anymore.

Thanks again. At least I can burn them.

2 hours ago, Ham Rex said:

So the MSRP were super high so when you paid the real price plus profit for the guitar store you felt like you got a great deal instead of the real deal.

A $1999 bass for $850 bass with a case wow I made out... not.

What a scam! No wonder they're really only worth $350.

Thanks for all the insight!

So my entire collection is based on a lie and I've over paid for everything. 

Oh what a great feeling.

No wonder you were getting 4 digit standards for $400. Too bad you won't move that bass to me for 6 times it's real value as you once mentioned.

I won't ask anymore.

Thanks again. At least I can burn them.

Ham Rex, the HFC can be a brutal place.  Believe me, I know the feeling.

Tell you what I’m going to do…

For $1000, and believe me, I’m taking a beating, I will take that shameful purchase off your hands.   I don’t even play 5 string bass, but I’m willing to do that for you!

Just let me know.  I’m here for you ;)

1 hour ago, Cary said:

Ham Rex, the HFC can be a brutal place.  Believe me, I know the feeling.

Tell you what I’m going to do…

For $1000, and believe me, I’m taking a beating, I will take that shameful purchase off your hands.   I don’t even play 5 string bass, but I’m willing to do that for you!

Just let me know.  I’m here for you ;)

You're the best! If I ever don't need a use for firewood I'll reach out to you.

Not sure I'm following your direction (or logic) here at all...

It really doesn't matter what the list or selling price was 25-30 years ago, as that isn't relevant at all now, really.  That's not much different than saying you got ripped off for spending $100k in 1999 on a 1959 Les Paul because it only cost $249.50 in 1959.  The selling price back then doesn't matter to the present selling price of things.

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

That's not much different than saying you got ripped off for spending $100k in 1999 on a 1959 Les Paul because it only cost $249.50 in 1959.  The selling price back then doesn't matter to the present selling price of things.

This was my dad’s logic that kept me from buying a mint Chevelle in 1986 for $5000 !!!!!!   He said no way he could let me pay more than sticker price on a used car!   Thanks Dad.

A better approach is the Larry H/Ax in Hand logic……….how much would it cost to gather the proper materials, find the skilled craftsman, etc to recreate one.  Even then it’s a replica and can never posses the scarcity/heritage of the original.

That bass was a good deal.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:51 PM, cmatthes said:

Not sure I'm following your direction (or logic) here at all...

It really doesn't matter what the list or selling price was 25-30 years ago, as that isn't relevant at all now, really.  That's not much different than saying you got ripped off for spending $100k in 1999 on a 1959 Les Paul because it only cost $249.50 in 1959.  The selling price back then doesn't matter to the present selling price of things.

I'm sorry Chris. I felt you were purposely trying to make feel bad for something I truly think is an awesome bass.

God knows you have so much Hamer knowledge and so many beautiful instruments and talent. Between you and PAF the pics in the book prove it. You always have the correct information and background for the information of questions asked.

You have the best of the best Hamer had to offer and I for one am late to the party. I have to pay through the nose to aquire one of Hamer's super gems. I love all Hamer's but a select few are far above their off the shelf builds. The price always reflects this.

Most of us, me included, look up to you and your opinion carries weight within the club and more than likely outside as well, at least to me.

Sometime ago I posted about a Max Bass incorrectly described in Reverb that I purchased and returned. You offered a Max Bass for less money but I now know it was just offered to prove the bass wasn't worth it. It was not an offer that you would actually sell to me. I was very hopeful to own an instrument from the book and let a lone from you. I asked you several times about it each time making you more upset with me when I asked.

So thanks for all your insight, knowledge and willingness to share. Not just to me but all the HFC members. 

I don't think I'm an ahole but I know many people see me that way for one reason or another. 

Well, there it is. Cards on the table for everyone to see. A 2 of clubs, a 7 of spades.

I mentioned that the bass was something I’d definitely sell, but honestly, the constant hounding for me to sell it to you when I was going through a very busy and challenging time personally - when my time was more focused on a dying family member and managing the affairs of another was frankly, a bit of a turnoff. I thought that I had made things clear to you that selling it wasn’t a priority, but apparently, that wasn’t the case and I apologize for that.

52 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

I mentioned that the bass was something I’d definitely sell, but honestly, the constant hounding for me to sell it to you when I was going through a very busy and challenging time personally - when my time was more focused on a dying family member and managing the affairs of another was frankly, a bit of a turnoff. I thought that I had made things clear to you that selling it wasn’t a priority, but apparently, that wasn’t the case and I apologize for that.

Yes, you said it wasn't a priority.

No! you never let me know how serious the issue was. At least to the best of my recollection. 

If you would have, I never would have bothered you about it.

I'm not a complete ahole and have respect for people especially with loss of a family member.

I thought you may have been busy at work or other things and just forgot. Never dreamed it was loss of a family member. 

I'm sorry for your loss.

Archived