Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1980 Special FS - Some issues, but mostly original and plays well

You may remember this one from the recent discussion titled "Hamer Special on Reverb - Ed Roman reborn?"

It's a solid, perfectly functional guitar with some apparent, and some hidden issues.  

There are several chips and dings in the finish, the bridge is tarnished with some worn-through plating and the nut was removed and reinstalled unprofessionally (I'm being kind).  

A previous owner felt the need to install a set of long legged pickups. In what I assume was a combination of impatience, alcohol and ineptitude, he thought modifying the pickup cavities with a 1" spade bit was the appropriate solution.

Still, It's a good guitar and the horror show beneath the pickups doesn't show or affect the structural integrity of the guitar.  The nut could use some attention, but the guitar intonates and sets up well.

I replaced the pickups with a period and model correct DiMarzio PAF pulled from an 80 -82 Hamer Special and a new Duncan 59 neck pickup.  I also added new knobs and dunlop strap buttons.

The original case is included and I will also include the Super Distortion bridge and mystery neck pickup that came with the guitar.

Weight: 7 lb. 15 oz.

Neck Depth: 0.840 @ 1st fret, 0.916 @ 12th

$1,200.00 includes shipping in the U.S.   Happy to meet in the Chicago - Madison, WI area for an in-person exchange and deduct $50 from the price.

Additional photos to follow.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010011.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, WorstBandName said:

Same!  Caught it on Reverb but never saw it here somehow!  $1200 is a great price.

I just brought home a specific yr/model/color Les Paul a couple weeks ago which I am completely happy with so I'm not singing the blues on this one.  Also, something tells me the inflation squeeze and a slipping guitar market will yield some Hamer deals through 2023...   Although I'm not predicting $350 again.

Good luck in the hunt 👍

Archived