Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Should I buy it?

bry4321

You know we're enablers to all things guitar... so of course! Buy it!! Wish there was some better pics but if it's a USA Hamer do not hesitate!!!

up to you. from what mods I can see ...

A. humbucker route neck, this is going to weaken the neck joint/ tenon area.

B.Pickups appear to be "Lawrence USA" knockoffs.

C. added switchery at CPA

I wouldn’t buy it, but if you like it whatever. 

You’ll find another one without the mods, for somewhat close to the price if you just wait. I’ve owned my share of them, and nobody ever wants to buy them. 

No to be a dick, but anybody above most likely wouldn’t touch it at that price. 

Prototype's are awesome guitars.  I paid $600 for a nice one 12 years ago.   I don't think that price is too bad for a modded one at this time.

14 minutes ago, RobB said:

I’d pass on that. It’s mangled, and you can prolly find an original Prototype for not much more than that one. 

Can I borrow your time machine? 

3 minutes ago, RobB said:

Wasn’t bubs’ Proto a few hundy more than that one?

I don't recall, but putting aside what a good guy bubs is, he couldn't sell weed to Snoop Dogg.  

Update: Typo in my earlier post, asking price is $600. I am going to try to get it unless it has been sold. Understand what @bubs_42 was saying though. Even if everything else is good, you add in new pickups, possible fret job, deciphering the electronics, possibly removing the neck pickup and filling it in, same with the extra switch, the costs could add up. Even the pickguard @kizanskiflagged on Reverb is $110 with shipping at their asking price. However the experience of having it to play around with as @Dave Sceptermentioned has won me over. May be a moot point if the guitar is gone in any case. I appreciate everyone's input and will post an update when I have one. 

good luck! It would be tough to find something like that for that price, but I wouldn't expect to flip it for any substantial profit.  Assuming you aren't paying sales tax or shipping, you'd pay quite a bit more on ebay etc. Hard case (?) has value too.

I would probably pass since I have a big pile of guitars, including a Prototype (stock, with Kahler), but if i were short on guitars I'd pick it up. My Proto has grown on me quite a bit over the past few years, those are very good guitars in general.

19 minutes ago, bry4321 said:

Update: Typo in my earlier post, asking price is $600. I am going to try to get it unless it has been sold. Understand what @bubs_42 was saying though. Even if everything else is good, you add in new pickups, possible fret job, deciphering the electronics, possibly removing the neck pickup and filling it in, same with the extra switch, the costs could add up. Even the pickguard @kizanskiflagged on Reverb is $110 with shipping at their asking price. However the experience of having it to play around with as @Dave Sceptermentioned has won me over. May be a moot point if the guitar is gone in any case. I appreciate everyone's input and will post an update when I have one. 

To 'understand' bubs you would need to have gone through a large stack of Hamers, have 3 Shishkovs under your bed and be playing this weeks best Stratocaster. Buying an old Hamer and keeping it alive has it's own merits. If you like it and can get it at a good price, it's a win. If you're looking to get rich flipping old guitars, this might not be the one.

P.S. You can find parts cheaper than on ebay or reverb.

Archived