Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1st Impressions with Keeley Halo

Dutchman

Ok,  been a week and the more I discover the more I like it. I had my youngest son (Drummer) just push buttons and turn knobs while I played yesterday. He knows nothing of setting up guitar pedals but he knows good guitar tone. He dialed in some awesome tone's! It's staying on the board!! It was super fun too!!!

A while back, I settled on  a TC Flashback 2 delay for my main board.  It gave me a few presets and a pseudo-expression-pedal in a single-sized pedal.  It isn’t perfect and I’m a bit leery of the reliability of TC’s foot switch but it was the best I could find and I figured I’d make do.

Within a couple of weeks, I saw Andy’s demo and the videos he did with the TPS guys.  *#%}¥+*^!!!!!  Damn you Andy Timmons!  Damn you Robert Keeley!  That *#%}¥+*^ pedal is perfect!  Why not a month sooner?!?  

Time to revise the board  yet again.  Somebody gimme three hunnert bucks.

The demo sounds great.

....I DON'T NEED ANOTHER DELAY PEDAL.I DON'T NEED ANOTHER DELAY PEDAL.I DON'T NEED ANOTHER DELAY PEDAL.I DON'T NEED ANOTHER DELAY PEDAL.I DON'T NEED ANOTHER DELAY PEDAL.I DON'T NEED ANOTHER DELAY PEDAL....

The Halo is presently 15% off at Sweetwater.  $255 seemed more reasonable to me so I ordered one.  The standard black is back ordered, so I went with the new “Andy Apple Red” version.

GC is advertising the same sale price, but they don’t have any Halos at all.

Mrs. Hamerica notified me she ordered a new pair of shoes.  I was notified by Sweetwater on the 15% sale and my oh my, look "Andy Apple Red" to boot.  

Honey, look at my new shiny pedal." !    And(y) it was just my size!

https://www.hamerfanclub.com/forums/topic/94948-keeley-halo-andy-timmons-dual-echo/#comment-1100012

Hamerica

My Halo showed up three days early.  Ordered Friday morning, arrived Sunday afternoon, even with free shipping.  I  was supposed to to outside weeding and re-seeding large sections of our lawn toady, but it's presently pouring outside, so I have some time to unbox and try out my new Andy-apple-red toy.

Nigel "helped" me install it on my board.

IMG_1902.jpg.259f0e5b5b7e3202301ea3b89d3c9ebd.jpg

So far, I love the amount of capability packed into a single-sized pedal.  Tap tempo, infinite repeat, preset selection, all with just the two buttons.  It's going to take some practice to remember how it all works. 

Compared to my previous two delay pedals, I like it a lot better.  It is, of course, half the size of the EHX Grand Canyon.  The Grand Canyon has a few more delay types, but the Halo has the sounds I will use and is easier to control with my feet.  The TC Flashback 2 can probably do the sounds of the Halo, but I didn't like having to use the USB cable and editor software to create Toneprints.  I love that the Halo gives me all the controls right there on the pedal (if I can remember how it all works).

As delivered, the pre-programmed sounds aren't much good for me.  Timmons runs a stereo rig with the delay in the loop, whereas I run an old-school single, crunchy amp with all the pedals in front.  So right off the top, all the presets have the mix set too high.  I'll make with the playing and presetting and follow up when I get my sounds dialed in.

Gotta love Keeley's attention to detail.  Below is a diagram from the Halo Instruction booklet, showing how to change preset banks.  The device used to press the buttons is unmistakably a Converse All-Star, which is as it should be in the guitar-playing world.  Below that for reference is a photo of the 2019 incarnation of my pedalboard, showing my pedal-activation footwear of choice.

IMG_1921.jpg

spacer.png

Finally got the new one on the board.  Was able to run stereo at a recent show and loved the impact of bouncing delays, so installed the Halo in stereo via the FX loop of the Stomp.  The output of the stomp will sum the two stereo sides if using the mono output.

And yes, I know I have an overdrive problem...

pedalboard 0922 - 1.jpeg

On 9/5/2022 at 5:36 PM, Rich_S said:

Nigel "helped" me install it on my board.

IMG_1902.jpg.259f0e5b5b7e3202301ea3b89d3c9ebd.jpg

Did he drill a large screw right through the pedal into the board?

LOL. no.  I mount my pedals by putting longer screws through the board and into two of the four back cover plate holes.  The board needed two new holes to match the Halo's dimensions.  I drilled them, because you need opposable thumbs to work the drill.

14 hours ago, Rich_S said:

LOL. no.  I mount my pedals by putting longer screws through the board and into two of the four back cover plate holes.  

I switch pedals to often to bolt them down. There is a system you may find easier to screw them down, I built one for a local, it was spendy but solid!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DUO-24-TR--temple-audio-duo-24-templeboard-temple-red

On 9/18/2022 at 1:58 AM, Rich_S said:

LOL. no.  I mount my pedals by putting longer screws through the board and into two of the four back cover plate holes.  The board needed two new holes to match the Halo's dimensions.  I drilled them, because you need opposable thumbs to work the drill.

I'm just glad the cat didn't do the drilling. 😄

Archived