Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bass interrogation

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Willie, you do nothing for our cause when you make fun of your own people. 

I myself am terrified of bass solos......mine

15 minutes ago, mathman said:

Be capable of playing like that would help on any stage...

I mean 'cus I'm blind as a bat in low light.

But then again, "Phosphorescent  Phrets😎 would also help 😁

A safari group is going through the jungle.  Off in the distance, they hear drumming.  They continue moving, and suddenly the drumming stops.  Immediately, the native guides start panicking.  One of the group grabs one of the guides and says, "What's wrong?  Why are you all so upset?"

The guide says, "When the drums stop, it's bad."

The first guy says, "Why is it bad when the drums stop?"

The guide says, "Bass solo next."

The neon slap bass track reminds me of one of the first times I heard a bass becoming an up-front/lead instrument in a funk mode. Guitar Player  was still proffering those one-song soft inserts in issues (a true floppy disc, if you will---I forget what their actual name was; "sound page" maybe?) and they had a contest for readers; one of the prizes was your song on a disc.  This was like 30-something years ago.

And a bass player named Michael Sciuto was the winner, with chops that could easily have inspired the redheaded guy in the videos in this thread. "Red" is faster than Sciuto was, IMO but some three and a half decades ago Sciuto's effort was stunning and unforgettable. Prompted me to buy Stu Hamm's Radio Free Albemuth  (1988) but methinks Sciuto's piece was out first. I never really got serious about funk chops 'coz I was also the singer and it was all I could do to hold down root-five and carry the vocals at the same time. Plus, (GROSSOUT ALERT FOR PURISTS!!!) I played with a pick.

Anybody know anything about what happened to Sciuto? One would have thought he would have gone on to a a bit of fame but I can't say I ever heard about him in anything further.

Here's an alternate version of the sound page piece. I like the original better, 'coz it had fewer sonic embellishments. so you could focus more on the bass.  YMMV

7 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Here's Charles Berthoud with a brief excursion into "Stairway to Heaven" on a six-string fretless bass w/ no sissy lines

DAMN!

This guy’s pretty damned good…

12 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Here's Charles Berthoud with a brief excursion into "Stairway to Heaven" on a six-string fretless bass w/ no sissy lines

There are fret markers on the edge of the fingerboard. Still, ...DAMN!

^^^To clarify, I seen the side dots before making my post; my interpretation of "sissy lines" is that it applied to fretboard markings, not side dots. In '88 I briefly owned a Peavey Foundation Fretless and in the mid-'90s I had a Peavey T-20FL. Both had "sissy lines". Interesting sounds but since I was the lead singer, I needed more "insurance" about where my fingers were so traditional metal frets were like speed bumps. And I would look at dot markers--on the fretboard and  on the side of the neck probably more than most players but I was a converted guitarist.

Any lead singer who also plays fretless bass has my respect....even "moody rocker Sting". who even played an eight-string fretless regularly in his early days with the Police.

T-20FL.jpg

Ned Steinberg (NS Design) has an interesting way of marking positions on electric upright basses. This is also an example of the compound radius option- nearly flat at the nut and highly arched at the bridge, you know, for playing arco as well as pizzicato.

Omni Bass - TransRadius Detail.jpg

Archived