Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD + 2

diablo175

My Charvel LE DK24 R arrived Thursday and didn't really get a chance to enjoy until yesterday. Never owned an axe with a roasted maple neck. Honestly, I prefer the aesthetic of a pristine, oiled maple neck and board BUT...

...I gotta say, I'm digging this one! Maybe it's the firmer(?) feel it has or how the finish is slightly smoother than the raw oiled board on my other recent Charvel. I dunno but I like it! The Okoume is a nice alternative to the alder I'm accustomed to on DKs. Charvel finally started including some decent equipment and features. Most notably the high output SD p'ups. The Bournes EVH pot is nice touch as well.

Naturally, the FR 02000 Series Floyd came off straight away and was replaced by a proper Schaller-made OFR and FR fat brass block. I'd also have opted for stainless fret, fret markers on the board and a toggle switch (of course) but both can be added later if I'm so inclined.

Specs:

• Body Material: Okoume
  • Body Finish: Satin
  • Neck: Caramelized Maple
  • Neck Finish: Hand-Rubbed Urethane
  • Fingerboard: Caramelized Maple, 12” to 16” Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
  • Frets: 24, Jumbo
  • Nut (Material/Width): Floyd Rose® 1000 Series Locking, 1.6875” (42.86 mm)
  • Tuning Machines: Charvel®-Branded Die-Cast
  • Scale Length: 25.5” (64.77 cm)
  • Bridge: Floyd Rose FRT-O2000 Double-Locking Tremolo (Recessed)
  • Pickups: Seymour Duncan Nazgûl (Bridge), Seymour Duncan® Sentient (Neck)
  • Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Full Humbucker, Position 2. Bridge Inner Coil, Position 3. Both Inner Coils, Position 4. Neck Inner Coil Position 5. Neck Full Humbucker
  • Controls: Volume (500K EVH® Bourns® Low Friction Pot), No-Load Tone
  • Case/Gig Bag: Included Charvel® Multi-Fit Gig Bag
  • 7 lbs 12 oz

IMG_7741.jpeg

Really quite taken with this guitar. The neck alone makes it worth the purchase. Crazy comfortable, smooth and very solid feeling.

The army drab color on the body (& headstock) is aptly named- drab and not my idea of an appropriate eye-catching (searing?) ;) scheme but it works well with the hue of caramelized neck. 

I've decided to play mad scientist, yet again, and mod one up to my exact preferences- the whole nine yards- OFR or LockMeister w/ fat brass block, toggle switch, kill switch tone pot, stainless frets, new Gravelin Mongoose in the bridge and possibly a Sustainiac in the neck and a snazzy custom paint job.

Stay tuned.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:56 PM, diablo175 said:

The army drab color on the body (& headstock) is aptly named- drab and not my idea of an appropriate eye-catching (searing?) ;) scheme but it works well with the hue of caramelized neck. 

Nice looking guitar, play it loud!  Dunno if the OD Green color is something for the Millenial/Gen Z crowd nowadays (see news release below, no affiliation, it's been advertised all over TV already), but hopefully not a throwback to Henry J's 'Government Series' guitars for Gibson:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/03/apple-introduces-gorgeous-new-green-finishes-for-the-iphone-13-lineup/

Wouldn’t it be easier to order a guitar with all of planned upgrades already built-in? Seems counter-productive dropping $1400 on a guitar that doesn’t have the features you want, then putting nearly $1k more into a modded creation.  Why not just get what you want the first time around?

15 hours ago, RobB said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to order a guitar with all of planned upgrades already built-in? Seems counter-productive dropping $1400 on a guitar that doesn’t have the features you want, then putting nearly $1k more into a modded creation.  Why not just get what you want the first time around?

No, it wouldn't. Have you priced a comparable guitar from a reputable, reliable builder, with those features, let alone with a custom Brian Bock paint job? An HEL wouldn't come within $500.00 of the price for a modded DK.

Archived