Hamer Fan Club Message Center

$995 Sunburst at Dave's -headstock repair and refin

Good deal, even with headstock repair, refin and no Serial #!

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Yeah, could be a '79.  But I wouldn't have bought it because of the strap pin placement - lol!

It looks to have the earlier bridge (‘77-‘78), unless it’s a replacement. Dave’s calls it a string though instead of sustainblock. 

1 minute ago, pirateflynn said:

It looks to have the earlier bridge (‘77-‘78), unless it’s a replacement. Dave’s calls it a string though instead of sustainblock. 

Good point. Could be '77, '78... Can't tell if it's shimmed or not from the pix.

It looks like a '78, most likely.

On 9/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, specialk said:

The page is gone. Anyone grab a pic?

https://reverb.com/item/60552890-vintage-1980-s-hamer-usa-sunburst-electric-guitar-hsc

It's back up for a fast flip.  Better pictures I guess.  Guy told me on reverb that he bought to resell when I ask questions about its history.  People can do as they want, but fast flips just costs another Hamer fan a little more.

6 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

It was worth it for $900... but $1600?.. not so much 

Just goes to show ya, what a stand up place Dave's Guitar Shop is~

I do like Dave's and have had great service from them.  However, they did compensate the previous owner even less...

1 hour ago, burningyen said:

Odd, from the flipper’s pics it looks like a thin baseplate bridge without a shim.

Very odd, indeed.  Short bridge pickup ring, as well.
Something is off with this one.

image.png

1 hour ago, burningyen said:

Odd, from the flipper’s pics it looks like a thin baseplate bridge without a shim.

Sold again.

It has the early long headstock, too.

I owned a ‘77 Sunburst that didn’t have a shim beneath the sustain block. I talked it over with Serial Steve; he had not see another like it at that time. My theory is the shims varied in height to compensate for the individual neck angles. Sometimes a shim wasn’t needed at all. The guitars became more consistent by ‘79 but not perfect. I had the bridge milled on a ‘79 to get it low enough and sold another because of the same problem. 

On 9/7/2022 at 10:43 AM, pirateflynn said:

But a sustain block is a string-through.

Looks a lot like my '79 Sunburst.

Looking at the 3 piece neck it must be a late '79 or an early 80-ies, certainly not a '77 or '78.

Agree that the sustain blocks looks strange, as well as the bridge pickup ring.

Gabe 😀

It has Schaller tuners and I can not see any plugged holes for previous Grovers. That would indicate very late 79 or after 1980. But that bridge looks very suspicious.
I wonder what the neck angle is on this one, has it been re set? Wrong pickup screws too.

It looks great though and that brake looks solid. 

ensnpuqfsmgefl8xwg6l.jpg

zccoijyyk8h9abnmxwb3.jpg 

Archived