Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Did I miss this post? Wolfe doing EVH.

LucSulla

7 hours ago, DaveH said:

He's got chops for sure. How could he not, tho, being coached all his life by EVH.

I just enjoy the fact that he keeps it in his pocket. None of the Mammoth WVH stuff I've heard really gets all that out there solo-wise. Everything is very economical and for the song. There's something way cool about being able to walk out there and be like, "Yeah, I can do this too when I want."

It's funny  - the guy from the Darkness is a way better singer than Roth, but he can't pull off Hot for Teacher the same way. 

Although everybody's been posting the "Hot For Teacher" clip, I was more impressed with "On Fire"...

WVH has some of that swinging rhythm his dad had, which very few players possess. Agreed it's cool he doesn't shred for shred's sake... I need to check out some Mammoth stuff now. Justin Hawkins, though... yes he has pipes but he's like a glam rock Mariah Carey to my ears... wailing because he can, not always because he SHOULD.

8 hours ago, polara said:

WVH has some of that swinging rhythm his dad had, which very few players possess. 

The Mammoth record lacks groove and swing though. It's really hard to digest. I've tried a couple of times but I just can't get in to it.

I‘m a big fan of Justin Hawkins, he’s a bit of a guitar hero too, but his voice goes better with Queen songs than VH. DLR may not be much if a singer but his voice always sounded great with Van Halen, Sammy was great too.  Wolfie seemed incredibly relaxed and confident at that show and played really well.

That white EVH guitar (a semi-accoustic?) looked awesome too😍

1 hour ago, cornjulio said:

That white EVH guitar (a semi-accoustic?) looked awesome too😍

Wolf talks about it during his rig rundown, starts around 1:45-ish. 

5 minutes ago, Brooks said:

He claims Ed was a terrible teacher.

I remember seeing an interview where he said that. Ed would be like, “it goes like this…” and play some ridiculously difficult passage completely effortlessly and not know how to dumb it down for a beginner. 

Maybe old habits die hard...

Thanks for teaching me some stuff dad, but do you have to turn away every time you get to the good stuff?! 

15 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Those are the best chops of all.

…with a side of applesauce, natch!

My cute little post was a bit mean. Can’t fault his talent, RB? Then make fun of his appearance! 

WVH had a Guitarworld interview recently. They photo’ed him from the shoulders up, his face half-covered by a guitar. I was shocked…He looked like John Candy with a nicer haircut. In his mid-20s. I felt bad for him, kinda sad. I know his mom has struggled with her weight all her life, so it may be in the genes. 

He’s just outta the starting gate with his own music, and has done an admirable job of sloughing off the inevitable comparisons to Ed. I think great things will be coming from him in the future. 

21 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Not sure about those shrieks during "On Fire". Is he trying to challenge Roth's original vocals as to which frontman sounds more like he's really, actually, on fire?

The really high stuff from "On Fire" may not even be DLR. Michael Anthony was responsible for a lot of the really high harmony and other singing on a lot of the Van Halen Records. Kinda like how Roger Taylor, the drummer from Queen, was a lot of the really high shrieks and screams heard over the years.

4 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

And some of those high background parts in the studio are Ted Templeman, who has a great voice and talent for vocal arranging.

Did you know that the acapella arrangements at the end of "Feel Your Love Tonight" as well as The Doobie's "Blackwater" ending ("I'd Like to hear some funky dixieland...") were composed completely by Ted and he sings all the doo-wop-ish backing vocals on "Dance the Night Away"?

Not unlike how Mutt Lange is a primary participant in the "gang" background vocals on projects he produces.

He seems like a nice kid and I get he's trying to emerge from the giant shadow of his father.  The songs I've heard from his album are OK, and I wouldn't listen to it regularly, but I'm sure I'm not his audience.  I think some will listen to whatever he does as some way to hold onto EVH somehow.  

He's received a lot of shit from some of the more extreme EVH fanbois for not playing any Van Halen songs and has not been shy on Twitter about telling them to get fucked. Him playing and nailing a couple Van Halen songs seems like a fitting tribute to Taylor who was a huge Van Halen fan. Felt like he was all  "I'm not going to play any Van Halen for those dicks but I will for Taylor."

28 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

100%.

I get disgusted with humanity that he has to deal with all that snark and unfulfillable expectations, but his responses are hilariously entertaining.

He'd fit in well on the HFC

We'll know for sure if he ever posts a pic of one of his detractors alongside one of ALF.

10 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

And some of those high background parts in the studio are Ted Templeman, who has a great voice and talent for vocal arranging.

Did you know that the acapella arrangements at the end of "Feel Your Love Tonight" as well as The Doobie's "Blackwater" ending ("I'd Like to hear some funky dixieland...") were composed completely by Ted and he sings all the doo-wop-ish backing vocals on "Dance the Night Away"?

Did you see how deftly I just combined the themes of two separate threads on this forum?

Ted's book was a fantastic read.

On 9/7/2022 at 12:25 PM, cmatthes said:

Although everybody's been posting the "Hot For Teacher" clip, I was more impressed with "On Fire"...

Me too. 

Wolf in these clips is the only person I’ve seen really nail EVH licks and make it seem effortless. No one else gets the swing or the feel right IMO. EVH is very hard to replicate. But like @LucSullasaid, the neat part is we now know he can, but chooses to do HIS own thing, which is beyond cool.

What I don’t get is the whole Hawkins tribute thing, but that is for another thread. 

3 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Wolf in these clips is the only person I’ve seen really nail EVH licks and make it seem effortless. No one else gets the swing or the feel right IMO. EVH is very hard to replicate. But like @LucSullasaid, the neat part is we now know he can, but chooses to do HIS own thing, which is beyond cool.

What I don’t get is the whole Hawkins tribute thing, but that is for another thread. 

Only other person I’ve seen nail Eddie’s swing and feel is that Jacob Deraps kid on YouTube. Tons of videos of him doing VH covers as a teenager. 

Mad respect for Wolf, not only for being able to replicate his dad’s playing but for finding his own voice and going in a different direction 

Archived