Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Did I miss this post? Wolfe doing EVH.


LucSulla
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Maybe Justin can explain that to you himself:

 

Agree with you on Deraps, I thought the same thing the first time I saw him years ago. He has great EVH intuition.  He's just got great "feel" all around. I predict big things for that guy. The video of him playing with Lukather and Toto is especially cool.

That didn’t do it. 
I dig Justin Hawkins and the Darkness and love a lot of the bands there. And BJ from AC/DC seemed to really bring it. Maybe if I listen to Grohl’s opening speech. I am still waiting for the huge tribute concerts for EVH and Charlie Watts.  I am obviously missing something about the musical significance of Taylor Hawkins. 

Edited by Jakeboy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Mark:  The Foos - and Taylor - are hugely influential for the generation below ours.  They also played with EVERYBODY and did a lot to keep Rock alive over the last couple of decades.  The fact that he/the Foos have made a lot of efforts to keep a lot of their influences (the guys from our generation and before) in the public eye and have played or collaborated with them and many more is probably why they were able to bring something like this together.  They’re still in touch with their fan base too. 
 

As far as something for Charlie, that would  never occur to Mick to put something like that together, but I’m sure Charlie and Eddie passing during a global pandemic probably put a huge damper on that being considered.  

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, cmatthes said:

As far as something for Charlie, that would  never occur to Mick to put something like that together, but I’m sure Charlie and Eddie passing during a global pandemic probably put a huge damper on that being considered.  

I think Watts was so low key, he probably wouldn't have wanted something like this, but not like I knew him.  And frankly, ultimately, Grohl took his own time to put this together.  Do we really think Alex Van Halen is going to come out of seclusion to do this?   Sammy, for all his public distress over EVH's death, hasn't bothered either. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, scottcald said:

I think Watts was so low key, he probably wouldn't have wanted something like this, but not like I knew him.  And frankly, ultimately, Grohl took his own time to put this together.  Do we really think Alex Van Halen is going to come out of seclusion to do this?   Sammy, for all his public distress over EVH's death, hasn't bothered either. 

My point was both EVH and CW were so very important to rock music that surely if Taylor deserved this than  they did too…even more so. @cmatthesexplained what I didn’t know….that Taylor was a huge influence on the generation after mine. Somehow I missed it.


But any festival like this requires a huge logistical effort…Grohl was the man for that hour.

I tried to get into the FF, just not my thing, though I do dig “Sky Is The Neighborhood”….Grohl DOES indeed respect his rock elders and man they sure do reciprocate the respect. He gets name-dropped and shouted-out by Ringo, Macca, Walsh, and on and on. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get it, and plenty of others too.  It just so happened that Grohl took on doing this for his friend and bandmate.  Others didn't for their respective bandmates.  Why not?  Who knows?  Maybe it never occurred to them, maybe they didn't think that person wanted that, or maybe they just didn't want to be bothered or something else altogether. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

My point was both EVH and CW were so very important to rock music that surely if Taylor deserved this than  they did too…even more so. @cmatthesexplained what I didn’t know….that Taylor was a huge influence on the generation after mine. Somehow I missed it.


But any festival like this requires a huge logistical effort…Grohl was the man for that hour.

I tried to get into the FF, just not my thing, though I do dig “Sky Is The Neighborhood”….Grohl DOES indeed respect his rock elders and man they sure do reciprocate the respect. He gets name-dropped and shouted-out by Ringo, Macca, Walsh, and on and on. 

I don't think it was a question of deserving it as much as having someone willing to do it. 

I don't care much for the Foos either, but they definitely have the audience. I also know that you can still walk into a college bar, play "My Hero" or "Everlong" and blow the roof off the place. If I'm being honest, the Stones almost never do that, and VH is hit or miss. That's not to say you couldn't pack Wembley for a tribute to Van Halen or Charlie, but it would be contingent on who else was there and, particularly in the case of the Stones, wouldn't dip that deep into people under 30. You're also not going to get the pop on social media when the crowd is older, even if the actual show does well. 

Grohl and co. seem to have made a helluvalot of genuine friends over the years as well across generations of rockers. If you have that much royalty that genuinely loved the guy and a guy like Grohl who not only can make it happen but wants it to make it happen, well, there you go. 

There's really only one person who could have put an EVH thing together, and so far, he has chosen not to. As far as Charlie, I think @cmatthes nailed that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...