Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jackson relaunches American made Soloist

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

Great that they're making some in the US again, but they should've used the original Floyd.   

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-US/guitars/american-series/american-series-soloist-sl3/2802601803.html

@diablo175They have it in green for you!

Yup, saw it! Too bad about the standard headstock orientation, the 5 way blade switch and the 3 pickups. :P

SL3.jpg

Edited by diablo175
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

It also looks a bit odd without the TRC.

Yes, but less noticeable with the darker colors. I like the look w/o the string bar/TRC. Kind of uncluttered?

5 hours ago, scottcald said:

Great that they're making some in the US again, but they should've used the original Floyd.   

Looks like the import FR has some titanium (stainless steel?) upgrades, but I would prefer spending a coupla hundy more and getting an OFR.

Edited by RobB

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

I guess Fender is going All In on the Music Man style wheel after they started using it with the EVH series. I don't know if it's a dual action rod though. Hmmmm.

1 minute ago, RobB said:

Kind of uncluttered?

Oh yes; definitely.  I think it's just a matter of familiarity bias and the fact that it makes the headstock look bigger, wider.

16 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I guess Fender is going All In on the Music Man style wheel after they started using it with the EVH series. I don't know if it's a dual action rod though. Hmmmm.

soloist.jpg

3 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Yeah, didn't initially pick up on that but I agree!

7 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Interesting, I never knew they stopped 🤔

I don't follow Jackson much, but it looked to me from the whole thing that before you couldn't get a production Soloist from the USA, either Asian made or Custom Shop. 

It does look odd without truss rod cover.  Maybe they'll do a stylized J in its place or something.  

3 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

I've got a 87 Soloist and it's a absolute killer guitar in every way... I've been meaning to replace the EMG's with some passives when I find the time... perhaps my next project 🤔 

Those 80s soloists are crazy good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

I've got a 87 Soloist and it's a absolute killer guitar in every way... I've been meaning to replace the EMG's with some passives when I find the time... perhaps my next project 🤔 

Pics or it didn't happen....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

I've got a 98 that cost me a helluvalot less than $2600 and has a way cooler factory paint job IMO than those. 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Agree 100% about the missing TRC. While I appreciate the ease of access of the wheel at the base of the neck, the headstock just doesn’t look right without the cover. And I get the measures to cut cost a bit by using the import Floyd and unbound neck.  It’s a cool guitar for sure but I can’t imagine it being better than my “poor man’s soloist” upgraded with a set of Gravelins…

093D4B0E-5641-4E65-9795-2D810D7DB75F.jpeg

9688D5E1-8E99-45A1-B163-442F86E19E5A.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, veatch said:

I'm on it... nothing special, doesn't even have paint on it🤣... I'm contemplating modifying the 3 mini PU switches to a single 3 way toggle ala Jim "diablo175"

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, veatch said:

As promised... Nuno's ex Soloist on the bench gonna get a EMG enema flush with a PU's swap... delete mini switches and add a 3 way toggle🤘

xqlF1Wx.jpeg

C2Fwdo8.jpeg

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Cool.  Is that the old Strat thing of 1Volume 2 Tones?   A friend had one that just had a volume control. 

3 on/off switches... 3 separate volumes and now am 2nd guessing changing anything as the layout is pretty useful and I just changed the 9v battery as it was 1/2 volt low... what a difference a new battery makes!.. "the old battery was at least 7 years old"... I do however have a bunch of EMG stuff like active controls/booster and SPC/Fat controls I can wire in and play with... it's really a nice layout with tons of options with a roomy control cavity 

Edited by Dave Scepter
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LucSulla said:

What's nuts is that these are actually $100 less than the MIJ Series Soloists. That has to be a first. 

https://www.jacksonguitars.com/en-US/body-shape/soloist/mj-series-soloist-sl2/2904019876.html

But the difference between the "American series" and the "USA Select" is closer to $2K

https://findmyguitar.com/reviews/Jackson-USA-Select-Soloist-SL1-review.php