Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Jackson relaunches American made Soloist

scottcald

15 hours ago, GuitarGuy65 said:

I don't like the headstock logo not stating "Made in USA" like every other US-made Jackson that preceded it.  At least it would differentiate it from all of the imports from the front.  YMMV.

14 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Yeah totally agree 100%... perhaps there is veiled shady shit amiss

I don't believe it's shadiness, I think it's just Fender's thing now.   They just say Corona, California because there has to be some percentage of parts made in the US to say 'Made in USA' now - at least that's my understanding.  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/9/2022 at 7:05 AM, Armitage said:

I only have a few Soloists here now... I think this one still has the original strings on it.

20220903_124037.jpg

20220903_124736.jpg

I had the DK1 version of this as well as a RR1! I couldn't get on with the Soloists because of the volume knob placement!  Damned thing was totally in the way of my picking hand motion.

DK1 Bengal.jpg

RR1 Bengal 1.jpg

"Jackson Foam-Core case included."

Another cost-cutting measure, I'm sure. But come on, Jackson, at least put it in a hardshell case.

But, then again, I'm not their target demographic for this anyway. I'm happy with the Soloist I already have and don't really need another one. I special ordered mine in 1986 with an OFR, black hardware, three volume controls and three on/off pickup switches. The color is dark cobalt blue, which, depending on the light, can look blue, purple or even black. The pickups are original; whatever Jackson was using at the time. It doesn't get played as much as it used to, but it's a great guitar and was my #2 for a long time (#1 being my beloved '81 Special, of course).

Jackson_01.jpg

The color shows up better here:

Jackson_04.jpg

Perhaps a slight derail but this is why, in IMHO, my Custom Cali kicks the shit out of a USA Soloist. You could possibly make an argument for preferring neck thru construction (less real estate over the heel, different sustain?) of the Jacksons... or the jumbo frets, the real OFRs and room for 3 pickups (no slanted 27 fret board) but Custom Cali's overall features, materials and design speak to me. The mahogany body and neck (vs alder and maple), the 27 frets and input jack placement and control layout are/were superior. With a few tweaks (short string screws in an OFR vs Hamer stamped trem) and the jumbo frets, the Cali was a step up from the Soloist IMO.

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Perhaps a slight derail but this is why, in IMHO, my Custom Cali kicks the shit out of a USA Soloist. You could possibly make an argument for preferring neck thru construction (less real estate over the heel, different sustain?) of the Jacksons... or the jumbo frets, the real OFRs and room for 3 pickups (no slanted 27 fret board) but Custom Cali's overall features, materials and design speak to me. The mahogany body and neck (vs alder and maple), the 27 frets and input jack placement and control layout are/were superior. With a few tweaks (short string screws in an OFR vs Hamer stamped trem) and the jumbo frets, the Cali was a step up from the Soloist IMO.

Nope

Archived