Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD (Ibanez)

jwhitcomb3

image.jpeg

I just added a second Ibanez Talman to the stable. The 1702 (left, white pickguard) is essentially an offset Telecaster, and over the last three years has become my number one guitar. The new one (right, black guard) is an 1803, pretty much the same beast except for a maple fingerboard and a center pickup with an independent volume control on the lower horn. These are the made in Japan "Prestige" line, and they are wonderfully built with Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro pickups (the 1803 adds a Vintage Flat to the center position), and Gotoh bridge and locking tuners. Ibanez also had a low end Chinese made Talman line with identical designs but cheaper components (and less skilled builders). I tried a couple, but they didn't hold a candle to the Japanese made ones. 

These were made from 2015-2017. I got the first one a couple years after they were discontinued and were being blown out everywhere for as little as half their original street prices. Now they are scarce, and I stupidly passed on a chance to get the 3 pickup version when they were dirt cheap. The middle pickup is much brighter, and its separate volume control lets you dial in as little or as much as you want - turn it to zero and the 3-way switch just gives you the standard Tele sounds. The Alnico II pickups are a little fuller and less twangy than many Teles, but it still cops that Tele vibe (without the ice pick). It quacks some with the middle pickup dialed in, but doesn't go full-on Strat quack.

Yeah, I know, if I wanted a Tele, why not get a Tele? Well, I've had several, and prefer these. Lighter, more ergonomic (forearm, belly, and heel contours), the straight string path through the nut slots, the staggered tuner heights.

I'm still getting to know the 1803, but so far so good!

On 9/12/2022 at 12:19 AM, LucSulla said:

I've been playing a JS1200 an awful lot here lately. I never posted it because I didn't figure anyone would care, but I've found I really enjoy Ibbys as of late. Enough so that my meager ESP holdings are on the way out the door. 

I’ve had a couple of Japanese made Ibanez 7-stringers over the years. Both were rock solid players and sounded great. I just didn’t get along with the neck profile. Feel free to post the JS1200. I care. 😉

On 9/13/2022 at 11:15 AM, Travis said:

I’ve had a couple of Japanese made Ibanez 7-stringers over the years. Both were rock solid players and sounded great. I just didn’t get along with the neck profile. Feel free to post the JS1200. I care. 😉

Neck is quite different on these than the usual Ibbys. Thicker, more like a vintage C Fender carve. 

image.jpeg

The Talmans look really cool. All the MIJ Ibanez I've tried have been well-built and those look like cool tele alternatives. The 1803 could cover just about anything with those pickups.

That JS looks great as well. I've owned a dozen ibby's but never a satriani for some reason.

Archived