Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pandemic Luthier woes

Dave Scepter

15 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I'm no luthier and no offense, but I think you need to hold the other end of the file too. 🤣

But then I couldn't have taken the photo 🤣... really just a excuse to use my lighted magnifying glass 

I hear you.  Yeah, I've toyed with doing stuff on my own, but without a good space to work on things, it's kind of a non starter.  And I feel like I'd completely wreck (or relic depending on your point of view) something to where I'd need a professional to do it anyway.   

I've had this neck for years and It's been sitting aside due to major fret sprout and flat frets due to excessive use... I filed and put a crown back on them... took a couple of hours but It actually came out pretty good...u2Dqdwo.jpeg

QPXiY0r.jpeg

Every established, reputable luthier and fretted repair/upgrade tech I talk to (I consider myself the latter) across the U.S. has a waiting list of at least three months to get a guitar inside their shop, myself included. I actually hired my daughter to work with me in my shop this year. To help not only keep our waiting list at bay but to get her apprentice reps in an in-demand skilled trade should she relocate elsewhere and need either primary or secondary employment to make it.

16 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

To help not only keep our waiting list at bay but to get her apprentice reps in an in-demand skilled trade should she relocate elsewhere and need either primary or secondary employment to make it.

Yes!.. Bravo 👏... more people need to get back into trade skill work

There are a bunch of guitar repair tools I need to sell.  Repair work is like playing.  If you do not do it regularly you will not be as good as you would like to be.  My set up tools can stick around, but the fret work tools need to go.  In the wrong hands, those tools create a need for people who can repair the mistakes.  . 

• 4 weeks later...

I had built 2 Warmoth guitars, but the neck on one of them (roasted flame maple) needed a fret level/crown to play properly. 

I was in Ocala recently, and saw a local luthier advertised on Facebook--he had nothing but 5-star reviews, so I gave him a chance.

The guitar plays much better, but in the process he had chipped the gloss finish by the nut when he removed it. He neglected to tell me that until I came to pick it up. When I got the guitar home, I noticed a mark in the finish near the aft strap button. I contacted him afterward, and he was very apologetic ("First time this has happened..."), yet offered no restitution. 

This was not a cheap guitar to build--the parts were over $1500, so I was very upset. I should have sent the guitar to Jeff instead! 

Impetus.jpg

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Two accidents on the same guitar?  Hmmm.  The chip at the nut should have been touched up.  The mark by the strap button may not have been noticed. 

A meticulous repairman had a fret file slip and put a mark in the fretboard of one of my expensive guitars.  I knew him well enough to be forgiving.  He never made that kind of error, so it was a genuine accident by someone who likely went ten years before having another accident if there ever was another such accident. 

Archived