Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Single-Coil Non-Stacked Strat Bridge Pickups

crunchee

I've got a parts Strat with Fender '69 CS PUs, I like the '69s a lot but sometimes I wish the bridge PU had a bit more oomph to it.  I'm looking at the DiMarzio FS-1 PU (as used by '70's Gilmour, continuous use by The Edge (U2), past use by Yngwie) vs. the Seymour Duncan SSL-5 (Gilmour's preference since the late-70's, equivalent to his original SD SSL-1C, which is an overwound SSL-1).  Anybody have any preferences?  Pros and cons?  Any alternative choices?  Keep in mind I'm NOT looking at stacked, humbucking, or 'noiseless' PUs, but more at a more powerful traditional Strat bridge PU.  What say ye?  TIA! :)

If it was me, I’d have Rumpel or Gravelin wind me a beefier mid 60s pickup and I’ d have a baseplate installed while I was at it.  Should result in a  fatter sounding Strat bridge pickup witHout losing any Strattiness. Baseplate may not even be needed. Just overwind the pickup a bit to add some beef. 

Between adjusting the internal coil height, different non-standard magnet choices, adding iron to the interior bobbin build to increase inductance. reflector plates,  different gauges of coil wire from 42.5, 43, and 43.5 either single coated or "Heavy" across all of them... there's a load of ways to massage the output gain and frequency response to suit your needs.

I've been doing this since 1997, since 2010 in a professional capacity, and High Custom work is my specialty. I'm here if you need me so feel free to say hi anytime.

I second the motion for a custom wind by @JGravelin  The only single coils I use anymore are his. He wound a 10k bridge pickup for my Mirage (along with an 8k neck and 6k middle) that sounds absolutely fantastic. Fat and powerful. I’ve also got a pair of 6+k singles in the neck and mid of my Charvel and they’re every bit as fantastic. You won’t go wrong with a Gravelin.  

On 9/14/2022 at 11:12 AM, RobB said:

I’ll take the 69 CS set if you decide to sell them. 

The neck and middle pickups are great sounding pickups, so they're staying for sure.  As far as the bridge pickup goes, I'm still researching...I might be able to do with using a clean boost pedal instead.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:49 PM, crunchee said:

The neck and middle pickups are great sounding pickups, so they're staying for sure.  As far as the bridge pickup goes, I'm still researching...I might be able to do with using a clean boost pedal instead.

If you like the tone, a clean boost is a good idea. I've got an Xotic Super Clean that works great for that. 

Archived