Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My first Hamer, on the way :) So pumped!

Cboss

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Cboss said:

That's awesome, who is that?

Yup, Sammy Hagar. I had that album when it was first released, was just called “Sammy Hagar”

Later it was released as “I Never Said Goodbye.”  Eddie played bass on it. It’s got some killer tracks if you’re not familiar with it. 

Well that’s making quite the entrance! Welcome to the HFC! I remember a guitarist in Krokus  rocking one of those in the early 80s at the Wicomico Civic Center in Salisbury, MD!

I wish I would have seen more live music back in the day, can't believe I grew up in the '80s and didn't see that much!

Guitar is supposed to show up tomorrow, I can't wait!

FYI all there is a black Scarab 2 on eBay right now, and a really nice USA standard just showed up on the Reverb this morning, 1996 for $4,700 I believe

9 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I remember a guitarist in Krokus  rocking one of those in the early 80s at the Wicomico Civic Center in Salisbury, MD!

That would be Fernando von Arb.

image.png

Just got the guitar! I love it, it is smaller and a lot lighter than I thought, finishes a bit faded but I hit a test section with fine automotive finish compound and then some wax and it looks like the deepest Candy Apple ever, going to do the whole guitar

Old bad strings, but preliminary tone the pickup sound amazing individually, when on the center position volume is much much less, any comments? It looks to be the original switch, the pickups say hamer guitars, I'm sure original, single connector and a ground so not any four wire phasing issues....

Let me know any thoughts on the volume drop in the center position please, this is going to be an absolute joy to restore!

23 minutes ago, Cboss said:

Let me know any thoughts on the volume drop in the center position please, this is going to be an absolute joy to restore!

Get a can of Deoxit and spray/clean all electronic contact points/pots/switches...  I use a burnishing tool to clean the contacts of the toggle switch... you can probably substitute with folded paper... lay rags down "both inside cavity and outside area" "to keep drips at bay"... good luck 👍 

If it's not an issue with the switch itself or in how the switch is wired (this would be my hunch), I suggest checking for evidence of other diy hacks done to render an "out of phase" tone in the middle position. Based on the pics, the neck pickup is oriented "normally", so it's not been flipped to create the Peter Green effect. Not sure what else it could be other than the highly unlikely chance that one pickup's magnet was pulled out and reversed.

On 9/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, Travis said:

Yup, Sammy Hagar. I had that album when it was first released, was just called “Sammy Hagar”

It really is a solid platter. Sammy's a prolific writer and understands the importance of using riffs as hooks. The only thing I disliked about that album was how the record label nerds had the stadium logo airbrushed out of the cover photo.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:14 PM, Ed Rechts said:

I will assume neck profile is broad and shreddy.

Please tell me you have an over powered obnoxious tube amp to plug that hinge into...

I  am just realizing the "score" part of your score may have been t it's looks,  so she's a classic build that hasn't seen much daylight outside a bedroom/practice room? That can work in the other direction too, of course.

Looks like you got a mid 80s time period metal machine in perfect form. I want to plug that into a JCM 800 stack and let her rip.

Good score!

Thanks ed, I've got a 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue that I have modified quite a bit, so it would definitely annoy the neighbors!

After a solid day's work I've got it all set up, it is beautiful! Still that strange issue with the pickups, the switch is sealed with two rows of contacts and one pickup is going to one row and one to another, I'm going to put them both on the same road tomorrow and see if that changes the performance of the middle position, it's a very strange twangy effect right now, almost like a phaser is on

Screenshot_20220920-205625_Gallery_1.jpg

On 9/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, Cboss said:

Just got the guitar! I love it, it is smaller and a lot lighter than I thought, finishes a bit faded but I hit a test section with fine automotive finish compound and then some wax and it looks like the deepest Candy Apple ever, going to do the whole guitar

Old bad strings, but preliminary tone the pickup sound amazing individually, when on the center position volume is much much less, any comments? It looks to be the original switch, the pickups say hamer guitars, I'm sure original, single connector and a ground so not any four wire phasing issues....

It definitely sounds like one of the pickups is wired out of phase but then you said they were single wire pickups.  Can you take a picture of the inside of the cavity and show us?

Original wiring and after I got done changing the cavity wire to good stuff, from VH audio, makes a huge difference in everything:-) the pickups sound better now, switching to the same row didn't work it cut out the middle position, neck pickup seems to be missing a bit of trouble, bass and mid sound good, Bridge pickup real mid-range forward, the center position again cuts the volume significantly, with the tone on 10 it is very twangy, rolling the tone back to six or so it sounds better but again it's almost like it's a losing half its volume, none of my other guitars are like this.. really appreciate the thoughts and help! Love the guitar!

23 minutes ago, Cboss said:

I found a cavity picture from another Scarab that shows a 90° switchcraft, non-standard switch in mine? 

No not necessarily, Hamer used those switches in a lot of guitars... wondering if it's the same hole diameter as the Switchcraft?.. but probably a good call in swapping... Definitely a better type of switch 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, Cboss said:

Original wiring

That does not look like Hamer Original wiring, to sloppy... and I've never seen copper tape used as factory shield, but I've never had that model apart either.

6 hours ago, Dutchman said:

That does not look like Hamer Original wiring, to sloppy... and I've never seen copper tape used as factory shield, but I've never had that model apart either.

Grounded copper tape added by me, I put it in all control cavities.  some noise from this guitar before (fingers on strings noise gone), none now

Finally an understanding of the phasing issue on this guitar; it apparently came this way on purpose!

Front pickup out of phase, and the only way to switch it would be to flip the front magnet, as there is definitely a hot wire and a ground only coming from the pickups..

Screenshot_20220927-080234_eBay.jpg

Archived