Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Steve Vai w/ Living Colour- Hamer Content

diablo175

Start at 40:15 for LC with Steve Vai but the whole video is worth the watch! Vernon is playing his Yin n Yang Hamer.

Damn, that was fun! Corey still got pipes!! 

Vai's tone is very raspy. Don't enjoy it at all, still he does cool chops here. Vernon's tone is stellar!  

Damn, that was cool. A lot of covers, but well done nonetheless. Guys still sound incredible and their songs still sound fresh over 30 years later. And perhaps the ultimate testament to the Hamer brand is the guitars still being played by the pros 30+ years after they were built!

6 hours ago, Disturber said:

Damn, that was fun! Corey still got pipes!! 

Vai's tone is very raspy. Don't enjoy it at all, still he does cool chops here. Vernon's tone is stellar!  

I agree- his tone has always kinda perplexed me but if it's what he's hearing in his head, who am I to question?

2 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

I agree- his tone has always kinda perplexed me but if it's what he's hearing in his head, who am I to question?

Out of the 30 years I've listened to him, my favorite of his tones was on Eat 'Em and Smile.

19 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Out of the 30 years I've listened to him, my favorite of his tones was on Eat 'Em and Smile.

Me too. And, they had to borrow Steve Stevens' Marshalls to get a good sound on EE&S

Thanks for posting.  Every time Living Colour tours in my area, something always comes up and I am unable to attend. Haven't seen LC since they opened for the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour.

Cory is representing the HFC as well...I spied Checkerboard not sure if it was a belt or what?  Damn, that guys gotta voice.  

Vernon, is just an alien to me.  I have a ton of WTF moments with his playing and approach to sound.    Vernon runs so many processes I don't know how he knows what he knows or  how he got there but he does know how to make everything cohesive.   Which as a  He is running parallel processing - not in series via stereo, and blending other devices including modelling.   His Mesa rigs (rectifier and the now discontinued Lone Star) seem to have a ton of following.  His rig rundown back in 2013 still makes my brain hurt.  

I have messed around with enough classic cars to know when you get too many hot rod parts in one vehicle,  you spend all your time repairing and replacing parts.  They just don't run good for very long.  How Vernon does this with guitars all those effects in parallel is mind-blowing.   I've heard of guitarists trying to achieve the sound in their head.  Whats in Vernon's head is frightening.  Great example "Solace of You" starts out as one of my guitar teachers summed it in one word - "Weirdness" and goes into one of his songs. 

On Vai, one of my guitar teachers had a Passion and Warfare album poster and a LE Vai Jem from the period.  His favorite virtuoso was Vai yet, he knew me well enough to know I was gonna to gloss over Vai but love Timmons.    Thanks Blake! 

Hamerica

1 hour ago, Brooks said:

Me too. And, they had to borrow Steve Stevens' Marshalls to get a good sound on EE&S

Interesting, given that Steve Stevens was recommended as a guitarists for DLR's band. Per the Vai documentary, SS turned it down due to his obligation to Billy Idol.

Vai's introduction and association w/ Carvin amps I think came from his working with Zappa.

40 minutes ago, scottcald said:

I saw an interview with Vai on Andertons I think and they had a Marshall for him there, and he said he can get by with it, but it was really clear that he wasn't giddy about Marshalls.   

Not the same contextually, but he absolutely did love the early '70s Marshalls that he had Jose Arredondo and Lee Jackson modify for him back when he joined DLR.  Prior to then, he'd never even owned a Marshall.  As Vai himself tells the story, he got his first Carvin stack via his association with Zappa and used it to record Flex-able and up to four full Carvin stacks during his stint in Alcatrazz. As he began writing material with Sheehan, Bissonette, and Roth, he realized while the Carvin clean channel was great, the overdrive just wasn't cutting it for the kind of work he was beginning to do with Roth.  He was enamored of the hot-rodded  tone that Steve Stevens' Marshall produced when he borrowed it to record Eat 'Em and Smile, thus began his pursuit of old Marshalls that Jose could apply his everything-but-the-kitchen-sink treatment.  IIRC, he told Pete Thorn in a recent interview that he actually had Jose help him score those old Marshall heads. Alas, modern DSL/TSL or JVM, while great amps, are just not quite the same as an old-school, fire-breathing, noisy 1959 or 1987 modded with an extra gain stage and PPIMV.

55 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Jim, did you ever hear those rumors that Vai's personal Carvins we're actually Marshalls in disguise? I know that accusation has been made about a lot of other endorsed brands, notably anyone playing through Peaveys in the southern rock glory days.

I've heard this several times over the years, but in these days of the Interwebs, I've found not a single concert photo of a Peavey head that's been doctored that way...at least not visibly from the chassis front panel.  If you've found a pic of one, I'd love to see it for the humor of it all.  I have read (via many sources) that most of those southern rock players that endorsed Peavey and played Maces and Deuces during live shows frequently used Marshalls and Fenders in the studio...and didn't try to hide the fact.

True, but in the same Anderton's interview, he says as long as he had the Legacy pedal, he could have his sound.  That pedal doesn't sound like an old Marshall.   I also don't see Vai going to through the machinations to have all the Carvin stuff onstage for so long and pay the money for transporting that extra stuff if he's just using a Marshall the whole time.  

As far as the southern rock guys, I think the Peaveys gave them a sound they liked and were solidly built to go on the road.  

Maybe EVH was using a Pignose all along. 

18 minutes ago, scottcald said:

True, but in the same Anderton's interview, he says as long as he had the Legacy pedal, he could have his sound.  That pedal doesn't sound like an old Marshall.

I got the same vibe from him when he was interviewed in recent years about his signature Synergy preamp modules.  I suspect his tonal preferences have simply evolved over time.  

19 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

I got the same vibe from him when he was interviewed in recent years about his signature Synergy preamp modules.  I suspect his tonal preferences have simply evolved over time.  

Exactly, which is why I think he actually used the Carvins because they built him what he wanted and then when they weren't doing that any more, Dave Freidman stepped in to help him design a Synergy module, which he seems to dig now. 

5 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Jim, did you ever hear those rumors that Vai's personal Carvins we're actually Marshalls in disguise? I know that accusation has been made about a lot of other endorsed brands, notably anyone playing through Peaveys in the southern rock glory days.

Despite living in LA in the mid to late 80s, I have never played, nor knew ANYONE that played, through a Carvin. Only ever saw Carvin PA cabs and boards at various venues. 

I've heard those rumors though I'm not certain it was in reference to Vai.

12 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Alas, modern DSL/TSL or JVM, while great amps, are just not quite the same as an old-school, fire-breathing, noisy 1959 or 1987 modded with an extra gain stage and PPIMV.

For sure they are not. Not even close. It's the iron, among other things. 2203's and 2204's will be the closest thing, and just as great. Even the JCM800's.
The reissues that Marshall make are very close though. Well worth buying. You can't get a new 2204 though, so if you find a used one - grab it!

On 9/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, Biz Prof said:

most of those southern rock players that endorsed Peavey and played Maces and Deuces during live shows frequently used Marshalls and Fenders in the studio...and didn't try to hide the fact.

Yeah, same w/ CCR & their tuck & roll Kustoms

ccr.jpg

I don't care where you are, or where you when, nothing, well maybe nothing, excites a newly minted teenager than walking into the Gym at the "Battle Of The Bands" and seeing the local Doors tribute band ALL done up in purple flake Tuck 'n Roll!

You just knew it was going to be a party.

Archived