Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Trading a Strat for a Hamer Studio Tomorrow Morning

golem

Looks like the tuners were swapped out for Grovers. I'm wondering what the originals were supposed to be but the big issue for me is that it left blank screw holes in the headstock. Rather than put originals in, I'd also be happy with a replacement set that covers up the holes. Locking is always a huge plus for me. The pickups are supposed to have been swapped with Rio Grande Texas BBQ set. Never tried that, but it seems the stock pickups would've been 59s.

To be honest, I was actually looking for a guitar with dual P90s but was too slow selling other items to get a guitar being sold on here. I've got plenty of humbucker guitars and wanted something to put a set of brighter P90s in.

I seriously doubt that you'll find tuners that will cover up all the holes... the damage is already done... you'd be better off picking tuners of your choice "or keeping whats on there" and use dowels to fill existing holes then paint finish to match... 

1 hour ago, golem said:

Adding photos

Hamer.jpg

hamer9.jpg

hamer8.jpg

hamer7.jpg

hamer6.jpg

hamer5.jpg

hamer4.jpg

hamer3.jpg

hamer2.jpg

hamer1.jpg

LOVE that Studio!  I had an old Special FM in Aztec Gold that was the flat top twin to your new Studio and it was a monster guitar. At one point I had that exact Rio Grande set in mine as well.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the extra tuner holes, as long as the tuning is stable. I prefer locking tuners myself so I might throw a set in there, perhaps ones that would fit in at least one of the existing holes. Fill the holes if you want.

How’s the neck on it?  Couldn’t quite make out the serial number so if it’s a mid 90’s then it probably has the standard “medium” round back shape that was so common at the time, very comfy. Full tone report when you’ve had some time with it. 

My opinion is that ANY Stratocaster you can trade for a Hamer is a good trade!

Disclaimer: I'm a humbucker guy, and as much as I tried, I can't get along with the volume control on a strat... It gets in my way no matter how hard I try.

Well I traded an Am. Std. with a decent pickup upgrade. And I got this Hamer which has a top nicer than some PRS 10 tops. So I think I came out alright. It could use a better setup. It sounds amazing through a Crate Vintage Club I also picked up as part of the deal. I felt like I was playing through a Plexi.

I love strats. But if you count the Silver Sky, Knaggs Severm, and GJ2 Glendora I own, it's about half the guitars I had. So getting rid of one was welcome.

On 9/17/2022 at 8:29 AM, kizanski said:

Depending on the Strat this may or may not be a good trade.
There are thousands of Studios out there with only the bare minimum tuner holes, if this bothers you.

I agree and those holes wouldn't bother me one bit.

Glad you are happy with the new guitar. Rawk the H out of it!

And while a bit of a drag, I wouldn't worry too much about the holes. Unsightly. But I don't think they will affect the tone. And there are people around who can make them go away if they bother you too much.

I had one of those almost new... my 2nd Hamer. it was a really good 4 kin guitar but developed Hameritis and I sold it cheap to a friend. mostly because I had just bought a Mirage II and the love was gone.  that was about 20 years ago and of course, now wish I had it back. especially because I have kept way worse guitars that I actually don't like

On 9/22/2022 at 9:46 PM, golem said:

Love the guitar. These Rio Grandes Texas BBQs are great. The finish is as nice as many PRS 10 tops.

But, I really don't like the stupid holes in the headstock.

Fill'em with diamond studs with an "I did that on purpose" attitude!

Archived