Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA 96 Standard Reverb No Affiliation

There is a 96 Standard on Reverb for $4750.00.

https://reverb.com/item/60780142-beautiful-stone-classic-1996-hamer-standard-with-brazilian-fretboard-in-mint-condition-ohsc

It seems weird the top appears to be one piece and the back appears to have a 2 piece cap. Am I seeing things?

Did Hamer make Standards this way or is that the "Stone Classic" build?

1_piece_top.jpg

Cap_on_back.jpg

2_piece_back.jpg

I've had both heel styles on all-mahogany Standards from '96, the one I had with the rounded heel was exactly the same as the one pictured in this thread, with a factory pickguard and a two-piece body.  The other '96 all-mahogany Standard I had, had a squared heel (like a typical Standard), ONE piece body (like a typical Standard) and NO pickguard (like a typical Standard); but also had dot inlays, no body or neck binding, and no figured maple veneer top.  It coulda easily qualified for having a figured maple veneer top at Hamer (like a typical Standard), but why it didn't get it I have no idea, it was all stock original.  I've never seen one like the latter before or since.  

Edited to add: This excludes the third '96 Standard I once had, which was the made-for-Japan Rick Nielsen 'Signature' Standard Custom; and other than the RN Signature transfer logo on the headstock, was otherwise a stock Standard Custom.

BTW, what exactly does 'Stone Classic' refer to, or is that some kinda fancy GenZ yoot slang?  In my personal experience, obviously there's variations, even with Hamers.

14 hours ago, RobB said:

2-piece body. Not a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. 

Do you think it is Pou Ferro fret board?

They did a great job hiding the seam on top. Looks like one piece to me.

They were masters at matching the wood.  Many times, the only way to tell it was a 2-piece body was to look at the end grain.

The center seam is evident on the face between the bridge pickup and TOM.  As Chris said the end grain tells all.

That was the Standard Mahogany.  If I remember correctly, list price was $1299.  The limited edition Korina version (which added blended heel) was $100 upcharge.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:12 AM, mirrorimij said:

The center seam is evident on the face between the bridge pickup and TOM.  As Chris said the end grain tells all.

That was the Standard Mahogany.  If I remember correctly, list price was $1299.  The limited edition Korina version (which added blended heel) was $100 upcharge.

Next time I'll look on my desktop or laptop. The detail isn't there on my phone. Thank you.

So for $100 more you could get the Korina version! Wow. Those were the days!

So is Korina just hype or actually worth it on the Standards, Specials and other models?

What's everyone's opinion?

Thanks,

M

11 minutes ago, Ham Rex said:

Absolutely! But because they're rarer or actually play and sound better?

You asked if it was worth it.  Considering what a $100 upcharge means for resale, there is no question.  

We'll all be debating if the difference can actually be heard until the end of time.  Or at least until we lose interest.  

40 minutes ago, kizanski said:

You asked if it was worth it.  Considering what a $100 upcharge means for resale, there is no question.  

We'll all be debating if the difference can actually be heard until the end of time.  Or at least until we lose interest.  

I guess I didn't state that question correctly.

Is the $6000 Korina Standard worth the difference. Does it play or sound better to make it worth the difference in price of a mahogany version?

Or is it $6000 because not many people paid the $100 upcharge and the Korina's are rare?

I would think back in the day a $100 upcharge would definitely be worth it.

"So is Korina just hype or actually worth it on the Standards, Specials and other models?

Is the $6000 Korina Standard worth the difference. Does it play or sound better to make it worth the difference in price of a mahogany version?

Or is it $6000 because not many people paid the $100 upcharge and the Korina's are rare?

I would think back in the day a $100 upcharge would definitely be worth it."

@Ham Rex

"We'll all be debating if the difference can actually be heard until the end of time.  Or at least until we lose interest." @kizanski  

IMHPV, there is nothing finer than a great sounding Korina Guitar.  Hamer USA just seemed to have that niche nailed down better than anyone else.  I like the looks, feel, weight, grain, balance and yes, the tone of a well crafted Korina guitar. 

To my ear (back in the day) the Korina tonewood  was  slightly brighter than any other tonewood utilized.   The timbre is definitely different than Mahogany.  Now, is it better or have a better tone?,  that is really subjective to the listener.  Even suffering from tinnitus for the past several years,  I believe I can still tell a difference.  (My ears long ago been shot due to subjecting them to ridiculous loud concerts, rifle ranges, hot rods,  women screaming my name or other deities and etc...so I no longer can hear some of the higher registers). So if y'all do anything wear ear protection.     

I personally believe the rarity of the Korina guitars is a direct relation to the early Gibson offerings.   Gibson not being able to market the Korina Explorer, Korina Flying Vee, Moderne, Futura, and etc...to their dealers resulted in the Korina being rare. 

The same is true of 4D standards, I have met those who couldn't tell the difference between a 4D standard,  a '96 Standard  or one made from 2000.   Go figure, and they are much better guitar player  than I could ever be. 

Regarding Hamer USA, wood selections  have always been  top of the line, the Korina wood selection was just exceptional.  (I'm not taking away anything from the Earthen Maples, Redwoods, or any other Hamer LE guitars those are all stellar too and I have had the pleasure of the being the caretaker of multiple versions of same).   Many ex Hamer workers have retold the stories of the wood they rejected.  The proof is in the pudding, most of the staff held on to at least one Korina instrument.  I would estimate over 80% of those comments I have read over the past 3 decades were Korina.

So my response to question one is yes, to question two is yes, and to question three is yes..all the above.

Hamerica

On 9/16/2022 at 9:56 PM, Dave Scepter said:

I have a few Standards and none of the heel joints are like that... I've seen that joint before, kinda looks  like Mike Shiskov connection...

Kinda weird how the grain looks like ply

Also kinda weird how this assclown is falsely stating the species of rosewood. I’d ask the guy about but I’m sure another intrepid truth-seeker has already done so. 

Archived