Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Cheap Wireless

BoogieMKIIA

I bought this cheap wireless nearly 2 years ago. About $55 on Amazon. Have used it regularly and don't recall any issues with interference or noise. Charges in about 2 hours and has not run out of charge on 4 hour gigs.

Limited to 4 channels and operates at 5.8 GHz. I connect from guitar to pedal board or amp depending on setup and use use both electric and acoustic guitars. Range has not been an issue, maybe have gone 50 feet 

Anyone else have wireless experience, cheap or big bucks?

PXL_20220917_180455782.jpg

Edited by BoogieMKIIA
Didn't finish typing or loading photo
  • Like 3

Shure is great.  Lots if not most touring acts use it, but the high end is pricey.   Their BGX and PGX-D units get good reviews too.  

When I worked in theatre, we used the ULX-D.  Great units. 

Yngwie uses the full rack Line 6 model, the Relay G90.   That's about all I've got. 

I'm very satisfied with the Boss WL-50 unit on my home pedalboard. It's nice not to trip over cables around my flat. The only drawback is that you have to make sure to disengage the transmitter from the base unit after it is charged up. Otherwise, very much a fan of the Boss stuff for light usage.

I have NOT used it live, as I am a superstitious dude and am happy to use actual cables. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BCR Greg said:

I have been using the boss WL Dash 50 since it came out. Mine has hundreds and hundreds of live gigs under it’s built and it still works flawlessly.

Yeah but all your guitars have the little Hitler velcro mustache ...

I have the X-Vive that I use if I am playing a small gig or if I take a guitar with me when I travel for work. I have been using the Stage Clix V4 for a few months now and it works great. No noticeable tone loss and I can wander out a good distance from the stage. 

• Like 1

I forgot to add I have both the Xvive and the Carvin branded ones.  The Xvive use 2.4GHz and the Carvin use 5GHz.  5GHz is typically less crowded.

13 hours ago, Dutchman said:

I used the Shure stuff, from way back. Sometimes you still had to plug in, but I could get 60-70' from stage before noise started. I know the new ones are better!!

The new rack stuff is crazy.  Shure also has a pedalboard unit, if that's more palatable: https://reverb.com/item/2077227-shure-glxd16-digital-wireless-guitar-pedal-system  

Apparently so does Boss:  https://reverb.com/item/25770327-new-boss-wl-60-wireless-system-for-guitar-pedal-boards?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiJjODQ1N2FhOS02ZDU5LTRlZTEtODVjYS1jNGYzOTc4N2E2YmUiLCJpYXQiOjE2NjM1OTY1OTQsInVzZXJfaWQiOiI1NzIwNDciLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiMjhiMGM1ODgtNTI1NS00MjJiLThjZTktMzBiNDE0ZjBjYThlIiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiMDQ2Zjc3YWQtZmZlNi00OTgxLTk0NTEtNjcwNDNlYTFkZTgyIiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjI1NzcwMzI3Iiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.Vyig88m6nM09-iMAN7y86QUz7Hg4KIH9u3COsAt5w8w

Edited by scottcald
Adding Boss

9 minutes ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

I was looking at the Carvin 5.8 GHz when I found the Getaria on Amazon.  Looks nearly identical.

Yeah, there's a lot of similar looking ones as well as the Xvive.  I played in a band a few years back and the bass player's wife bought him a wireless without asking anyone about it from Amazon.  It didn't sound good and picked up interference. 

To me, with Carvin or Boss or Shure, you have someone you can call if there's a problem.  The Amazon ones might be fine, but you're relegated to just buying another if something happens with it.   Stuff happens and you can go to a cable, but I wouldn't want to be in front of people if that's when you find out it's a bad purchase. 

I picked up one of those $50 Amazon wireless units after my dog managed to tangle himself up somehow in a 30 ft cable and drag a half dozen wamplers off the desk. It works OK a room or two away from the amp but I'd never trust it at a gig. The places where my band gigged were the kind where you had to put the tables back at the end of the night, so I never got more than 3ft away from my amp and pedalboard lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Been playing it on gigs for nearly two years and no problems with tone, interference or noise. Granted, most of the time I’m a few feet away from the receiver. Played downtown Maysville, KY outside this summer on a large stage. Went out in the crowd a bit. Will have to see how far it will go.

I had low expectations but it is working much better than I expected.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, BCR Greg said:

Nope. That was the guitar bug from AKG.  Gone for years. 

Goes to show you how long its been since I've seen Ya ... Time to drive my Ass up there for a visit soon ...

• 3 weeks later...

My Getaria transmitter broke last night. The plug on the transmitter broke from the housing and it was dangling by the wires. Just ordered another set for $54, Amazon Prime with delivery tomorrow.  Lasted 2 years and no electrical issues.

When I switched to a cord, hard to believe how awkward it felt. If I ever hit the road I would buy a more robust system, but this works great for most of the gigs I play. Really fun to walk out in the crowd from time to time.

• 4 months later...

Just spent $37 on this unit for home use. It's also on Amazon with Prime shipping for $70. Will update when I get the chance. 

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803491015993.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.aef1f19cIRjJHW&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US 

PS this reminds me of the time I saw Hall and Oates open for ELO and their guitarist (G.E. Smith) just about tripped over his guitar cable. 

Edited by bry4321

I gigged a line 6 G30 for years. When it died I bought another. A couple of years ago I started getting lots of cutouts.

I then bought the Shure GLXD16. Worked a few shows and then started having cutouts. 

Turns out it's the 2.4 Ghz units that keep cutting out. Apparently that's what cel phone run off and they were causing interference with the guitar wireless.

At the recommendation of a friend I bought a 2.5 GHz Lekato dongle style. Been working flawlessly. No more cutouts.

$56 from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/LEKATO-Transmitter-Transmission-Frequency-Rechargeable/dp/B07TYRQ222/ref=sr_1_5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoboMan said:

I gigged a line 6 G30 for years. When it died I bought another. A couple of years ago I started getting lots of cutouts.

I then bought the Shure GLXD16. Worked a few shows and then started having cutouts. 

Turns out it's the 2.4 Ghz units that keep cutting out. Apparently that's what cel phone run off and they were causing interference with the guitar wireless.

At the recommendation of a friend I bought a 2.5 GHz Lekato dongle style. Been working flawlessly. No more cutouts.

$56 from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/LEKATO-Transmitter-Transmission-Frequency-Rechargeable/dp/B07TYRQ222/ref=sr_1_5

😈

70C34CDE-850B-4386-BBDC-BE3195DE9086.jpeg

2 hours ago, HoboMan said:

The Getaria I use is also 5.8 GHz. I suppose that’s the reason I don’t get interference. Battery life is great, never ran out during a gig. They must use the same reference design. The Carvin one looks almost identical to mine, same specs.

• Like 1

While back I got a $55 Swiff Audio so I could wander around a place during sound checks. Works great for that. Won't use it to gig with. It might be fine for that too but I pretty much stay in a 4 sq ft spot right around the mic stand so don't see the need. Would be terrified it would cut out in the middle of a tune and prove I got what I paid for.

Already had that recently with some cheap locking tuners I tried. Would lose tuning during every song. They worked just like the steering wheel did in our family station wagon back in the 70's. Took half a wheel rotation before anything happened.

• Like 2