Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Broken truss rod on Hamer neck

JustKid

The time has come to decide what to do with it.
So I got this Hamer USA neck from, what I believe is Cruise Bass. The problem is, somebody with very strong hands decided to make this neck useless and broke the whole truss rod nut piece along with the threaded part of the rod. It's been sitting in my cave for don't even know how long. Now the question is - do I repair it, or do I just sell it. And if I decide to go for repair, what do you think the best way to approach this would be - steam the fretboard out and change the truss rod, or try to open threaded part of the truss rod, diggin' about 1/4in into the wood and try to put the new nut on, probably something like a bullet or jackson style...
    What do you think?

HamNeck.jpg

We've got a few experienced repairmen who are well versed in guitar repair here on the HFC, Jeff R and Murkat come to mind, have you consulted with them?  A repair like that may not need major surgery like removing the fretboard, but it will require a repair person with experience and the proper tools.

I've done a few broken truss rod repairs and if there is no skunk stripe to remove, you gotta steam off the fretboard. I wouldn't do it any other way. I certainly would not bore out any more wood from the weakest area of the guitar neck. The 'Stewmac bore tool (repair kit)' method is a definite no-no for me. The problem with removing the fretboard means you are going to have to refinish the neck afterwards. I'd remove the board and replace the rod then go the refin route if it was mine... 

16 minutes ago, Victor (Fret Friend) said:

I've done a few broken truss rod repairs and if there is no skunk stripe to remove, you gotta steam off the fretboard. I wouldn't do it any other way. I certainly would not bore out any more wood from the weakest area of the guitar neck. The 'Stewmac bore tool (repair kit)' method is a definite no-no for me. The problem with removing the fretboard means you are going to have to refinish the neck afterwards. I'd remove the board and replace the rod then go the refin route if it was mine... 

Yup, no skunk. I've done quite a few repairs myself, but never the truss rod issue. The whole steaming thing sounds a bit scary to me...until the moment  I actually take the steamer into my hand and start doing it :))  Good point about weakening the neck. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, crunchee said:

We've got a few experienced repairmen who are well versed in guitar repair here on the HFC, Jeff R and Murkat come to mind, have you consulted with them?  A repair like that may not need major surgery like removing the fretboard, but it will require a repair person with experience and the proper tools.

Considering that too. I actually got couple more necks in need of similar repair, so a bulk deal might be in order :) Depends on what the $$$  verdict would be

Archived